What Submachine do you think is the creepiest?

terein
subnet technician

Re: What Submachine do you think is the creepiest?

Post by terein »

kaszimir wrote:hey guys want to hear a joke? Sub 1. :P im surprised it hasnt been brought up yet but i dont think that sub 1 has like any atmosphere. except for that radio...whenever theres a damn radio in submachine its the single most terrifying thing ever
actually i kind agree with this. not because of atmosphere but because you have no idea what you're doing or why your here. also, theres some pretty creepy things that come out of nowhere. i wouldnt say its the creepiest,but it deserves a look.
do you even tree
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

I like this thread!

While playing through the series for the first time, I thought Sub2 was the scariest until I played Sub4. (Remember, this is the version where the teleporters use the strobes and the lightsaber sound effect, which I wish sometimes Mat kept in the HD version). Out of all the most current online versions of Subs, I think Sub4 is the scariest mostly for that reason. And also there's something unsettling about the very end of Sub4 when it just cuts to the end text. It's weird but cool.

Currently, some of the HDs have made a big difference in my views, especially Sub3.

THOSE NOTES

THOSE SCRIBBLES

GAH
:P
Although I must say that when FLFHD came out, that was almost even better, to see new rooms I've never seen before after a couple years of playing the online version (the music also became much darker). It was a weird feeling to notice that there was a rope in the vertical shaft that I've never seen before.

There's something in general about seeing things one way for a long time, and then suddenly seeing them differently. [INCOMING ANECDOTE] I remember
seeing picture of my grandparents house 40-50 years ago. I've spent a fair amount of time at my grandparent's place and seeing it modeled differently with different furniture was slightly unsettling somehow.

(For an even more extreme example of this, VSauce put out a video called "What will we miss?" that shows pictures of the Andromeda Galaxy visible in our night sky millions of years from now. If I time traveled to that point, I would be slightly freaked out by a whole other GALAXY in our sky)

So anyway for online version, I'm going with Sub4, but for HDs I'm going with either Sub3 or FLF. And of course there are special rooms in SubVerse like the UVB76 Room and glx that have strange ambiences. And rooms like 712. Why tf are there drone references in Submachine??? O_O
ThunderDasher
subnet notes finder

Post by ThunderDasher »

Now that I think of it, SubVerse rooms are quite creepy indeed.

Mostly because of their unexpected and unsettling audio cues :P
"...But I shall forgive you. There are some things in life that cannot be achieved." ~Wise man
NOT CHANGING THIS SIG UNTIL SUBMACHINE: THE FARM COMES OUT, which is never :/
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Like the UVB76 room

If you're not awake while playing SubVerse

Flip the Switch

You will be awake after that
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

For me, SEP is less creepy because it hasn't story.

Sub2, Sub3, Sub4 - you're my Goddess.
Lord of Flies
subbot maintenance

Post by Lord of Flies »

Every game uses the feeling of being alone and makes you think that all those people were there just a moment ago, yet you can't reach them. This illusion fades away in newer games, but it still is present, maybe except of Sub9.
Sub1 is creepy because of sounds and weirdness.
Sub2 is creepy when you read story of Mur being burried alive and generally it has many unsettling elements. Like dig out. Or the pamphlet titled we come (why no one ever talks about it here?).
Sub3 is creepy, when you realise you are in a trap. And you almost stayed in it forever.
Sub4 is creepy, because you have to wonder what happened to the Teams. You can also see atmosphere of optimism and scientific work turned into nightmare and depression.
Sub5 is not creepy.
Sub6 again makes you think about predecessors. Also note that is partially covered in shadow... Well it really makes an impression.
Sub7 makes you think that people died because of you, but generally game isn't creepy.
Sub8 also isn't.
Sub9 is using cheap jumpscare and features people's remains, but isn't really creepy.
Sub10 probably and unfortunately isn't going to make me feel as if I were reading old horror story, but I see that game is shifting into completely different emotions and atmosphere and that's ok.
Problem with previous games was often switching into joke. Like ssbs or bad ending in Sub3.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Lord of Flies wrote:Sub9 is using cheap jumpscare
jumpscares? where?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

OnyxIonVortex wrote:
Lord of Flies wrote:Sub9 is using cheap jumpscare
jumpscares? where?
scary sound

for more information, see abandoned Error's Music Contest Thread

(jumpscares? You will see jumpscares in Five Nights at Submachine :D)
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Will Five Nights at Submachine feature observation from the Observation Room?
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Sublevel wrote:for more information, see abandoned Error's Music Contest Thread
AHEM

IS NOT ABANDONED

not yet anyway
Lord of Flies wrote:Sub9 is using cheap jumpscare and features people's remains, but isn't really creepy.
Agreed. I think it was actually geared to be more awe-inspiring than creepy, what with the enlightenment of knowledge and all :D . It kinda makes that bloodstain in the Pyramid look silly though :|
Lord of Flies wrote:Sub7 makes you think that people died because of you, but generally game isn't creepy.
Sub8 also isn't.
I think the introduction of karma portals kinda destroyed the creepiness in Sub7 and replaced it with wonder.
I also agree concerning Sub8. There's so much running around and shifting layers and trying to solve puzzles that gets in the way of creepiness.

Your thoughts on spinoffs?