BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 105 wrote:1) I hope you didn't FORGET to pick up flashlight with you?
<i remind you that you have to specify a command before if you want them to do something... I can give the characters a bit of autonomy, but don't assume they automatically will do something if you don't say it before :P I'll make an exception this time since it's a common sense action, I edited the last post>
Sublevel 105 wrote:a) can you quickly detect if there's fresh air coming from one of directions, or air flow moving to there? If yes - go there!
No, there is no breeze from any direction that they can detect.
Sublevel 105 wrote:b) Can you understand, in what cardinal direction did you run? Try to understand where are you now very quick. If there's buildings/objects above the passage, on the land? Like, bunker, castle, lake, chasm, etc? If yes - go in this direction?
Luke quickly tries to remember which direction they are heading to. The warehouse's main entrance is oriented 90 degrees clockwise relative to the city, so that means the corridor they just traversed is directly facing the city. As far as he knows there is nothing of interest neither left nor right from where they are.

Whatever they do, they can't just stay there. They need to make a decision now.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

<i remind you that you have to specify a command before if you want them to do something... I can give the characters a bit of autonomy, but don't assume they automatically will do something if you don't say it before :P I'll make an exception this time since it's a common sense action, I edited the last post>

ok, I understand it VERY well. We need to give more detailed commands to save lives of our heroes. Thx.

hmm... Let's wait what other people would say about right direction... Hope I don't play this game alone... (if yes - will tell people in Skype to join! XD)
LittleTornado
lost in subnet

Post by LittleTornado »

Sublevel 105 wrote: hmm... Let's wait what other people would say about right direction... Hope I don't play this game alone... (if yes - will tell people in Skype to join! XD)
That's where I came from, so it's working.

Ok. This is severely underused, let's check the inventory(in case I've forgotten something.
Splitting up doesn't seem like a good idea. Could you try stricking sparks off the walls using the steel rod?
(Beware, you will get solutions like this from me).

Comands:
Check inventory,
Struck wall with rod to make sparks.
Totally a human. Honest!
Aquaerellum13
lost in subnet

Post by Aquaerellum13 »

Command: a/ Check inventory.
b/ See if the phone battery has recharged.
c/ If it works use it at a temporary flashlight.
d/ If it doesn't use heat to recharged the battery.
Author of the book cooking with friends
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

Luke: you're likely to have some idea of where you are from the location of the warehouse and the fact that the corridor faces the city. Ask Ian which part of the city has the old factory. Move accordingly.
If that can't be done, go left and run.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

LittleTornado wrote:Check inventory,
Struck wall with rod to make sparks.
Aquaerellum13 wrote:a/ Check inventory.

Ian has: his phone, the flashlight (seemingly missing one or more batteries now), his wallet&keys, the paper from "M", a glass piece, Elisa's broken glasses including an improvised lockpick, and a steel bar.

Luke has: his (broken) watch, a handkerchief, some painkillers and part of an electromagnet.
LittleTornado wrote:Struck wall with rod to make sparks.
In desperation, Ian strucks the wall with the rod. Very dim sparks appear together with a dry sound.

They can't produce an useful amount of light that way, neither to see the path nor to defend themselves. They could maybe use it to create a fire with the paper, but it would probably take too long.
Aquaerellum13 wrote:b/ See if the phone battery has recharged.
c/ If it works use it at a temporary flashlight.
d/ If it doesn't use heat to recharged the battery.
Unfortunately Ian's phone battery doesn't recharge automatically, nor can it be recharged with heat.
reed wrote:Luke: you're likely to have some idea of where you are from the location of the warehouse and the fact that the corridor faces the city. Ask Ian which part of the city has the old factory. Move accordingly.
Luke quickly whispers the question to Ian.

<LUKE>: Hey Ian, do you know what part of the city is that factory in?

<IAN>: Next to the river.

<LUKE>: That means the factory is in the left direction. The warehou...

<IAN>: Then let's go! Come!

<LUKE>: Wait, but who tells us the left path will end up nea...

<IAN>: DOESN'T MATTER! We have to choose some path! Go go go!
reed wrote:go left and run.
They take the risk and start to run left with all their remaining strength. The new corridor is significantly smaller than the previous one and has many sudden bends and turns, so they have to keep a hand in the wall at all times to avoid bumping into it.

They are almost completely out of breath, when they find another bifurcation. But this time, in one of the walls...

<IAN>: Wait, Luke! Do you see those glowing blue spots?

<LUKE>: I see them! What do we do?

Should they follow these strange blue marks? Or continue in the other direction?
LittleTornado
lost in subnet

Post by LittleTornado »

ok, knowing the inventory changes things.
Commands:
Jumpstart the torch with the nail from the electromagnet(For one battery). if more are missing, substitute keys. It's ugly, but it's a weapon.

EDIT: Hold on, can't Ian see in the dark? or was that stripped from him?
Totally a human. Honest!
Aquaerellum13
lost in subnet

Post by Aquaerellum13 »

Command: a) use wire, 1 batterie, and flaslight's bulb to create light.
b) then examine the blue symbols and decide which way is safer.
Author of the book cooking with friends
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Aquaerellum13 wrote:Command: a) use wire, 1 batterie, and flaslight's bulb to create light.
Ian tries to remove the lightbulb from the flashlight, with no luck. The carcass is (luckily!) intact, and the flashlight was apparently designed so that the lightbulb is unremovable.

He checks the battery compartment: there is only one battery left. He briefly considers using the cable and some metal object in the compartment to make contact like before, but has to dismiss it; the circuit would most likely be too unstable for carrying around.
LittleTornado wrote:Jumpstart the torch with the nail from the electromagnet(For one battery). if more are missing, substitute keys. It's ugly, but it's a weapon.
<edit: ugh, translation mistake, sorry. I associated torch with something on fire. but I'll leave it like that, let's continue the story>

Good idea! Luke uses the battery, the cable and the nail to make sparks next to the paper, lighting it up after a moment. Now they have a rudimentary weapon and a source of light.

They check the corridor they came from. No shadows in sight. But this means nothing, there are many corners in that passage so the shadows could be just hiding in one of them and waiting for the right moment to attack... they should be prepared just in case.
Aquaerellum13 wrote:b) then examine the blue symbols and decide which way is safer.

The marks are regularly spaced along the stone wall, and upon closer inspection Ian and Luke find they are made of a glowing substance, splashed onto the wall. It is seemingly a kind of paint, judging from the smell. They seem old and degraded with time.

After a moment of thought and whispering to each other, Ian and Luke decide to follow the marks. They could go back and possibly confront their enemies, but they don't know how many or how powerful the shadows could be, and they should continue forward anyways if they want to get out of there and reach the factory.

They walk along the corridor as fast as their legs let them, constantly checking for any movement or sound. The fire is consuming the paper much faster than they thought, but fortunately, after a few more bifurcations, bends and U-turns, they finally stumble upon a doorway. Making sure there is no danger inside, they enter the room.

Let's see what is here...

LittleTornado wrote:EDIT: Hold on, can't Ian see in the dark? or was that stripped from him?
Ian pauses for a moment and wonders why he doesn't have that ability anymore. Could it be because he has spent a lot of time out of contact with the dark fog? Or because of the dream he had somehow? Or because he is next to another immune person? He has no idea.
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

take a look at the papers on the table
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com