BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Re: BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Boingo wrote:Um, maybe I haven't been paying attention to the correct threads, but what happened to this?
:s
Vortex is too busy to keep it alive now.
:(
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

<please talk in the discussion thread>
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

<surprise update!>
ENIHCAMBUS wrote:Luke: Peek the water drain.
Luke examines the water drain.

He has checked it before: under the removable grate, there is a thin metallic sheet covering the drain, that someone put there for seemingly no reason. It fits perfectly in the hole, so it can only be removed from the inside.

From what Luke has learnt about shadows, he knows that some of them can become uncorporeal, but they have no strength while in that form. Apart from that, none of them are small enough to fit inside a water pipe. If some shadow, for any reason, decided to enter through there, he wouldn't be able to.
The Kakama wrote:Look at the ceiling.
Luke looks at the ceiling.

There is nothing of interest to see, apart from the two pairs of fluorescent lamps. They don't work, of course, he already checked. There is also a loose cable, but it is out of reach, even if "sleeping beauty" wakes up and piggybacks him it would still be too high. Not that they would need a cable anyways, with the entire city in a power outage.
Sublevel 104 wrote:command: Luke: check the guy. Maybe he awoke?
Luke goes to check the guy. He's still unconscious, but he's moving a lot and breathing heavy, perhaps he's having a nightmare. Not surprising, with all that is happening. Luke wonders if he himself will be able to sleep again, with all those shadows roaming around, with your life in danger at every moment...

*go...*

*RUN...*

*FLEE!*

*ESCAPE!!!*

Ian wakes up. He feels dizzy. His head hurts, his heart is pounding very hard. The warning from his nightmare is still resonating in his head... Where... where is he...?

He slowly opens his eyes. The light blinds him, forcing him to close his eyes again. He hears a voice...

<LUKE>: Hey! Are you OK?

<IAN>: I... I guess. Where... what...?

<LUKE>: You fainted in front of me, remember?

Suddenly everything comes to his mind, like a bright flash of light. No. No no no no. Fucking shit. They are not safe here. He must warn Luke! Now!

<IAN>: IT SAW YOU!
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

what?
does Ian refer to that possessing shadow that could secretly stalk them all their way to the warehouse? :O

Ian: explain your fears to Luke more clearly.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

<LUKE>: What?

<IAN>: The shadow! It saw you!!

<LUKE>: What shadow? I don't und...
Sublevel 104 wrote:Ian: explain your fears to Luke more clearly.
Ian starts to grow impatient. He gets up while he explains his fear.

<IAN>: A shadow was possessing me when you found me. He saw you before leaving my body.

Luke freezes in fear once he assimilates Ian's words. If what this guy is saying is true, he knows what the implications are. Of course he had taken precautions, but shadows know well how to hide. It could have followed them... the entire warehouse could be already surrounded by shadows at this point. Could he have revealed their position without knowing?

They both stare at each other, quietly, evaluating their options. After a while, Ian breaks the silence.

<IAN>: Where are we?

<LUKE>: A warehouse on the outskirts. Don't worry, the only entrance is sealed. Nothing can enter.

<IAN>: Are you sure?

<LUKE>: Yes.

Ian feels a little more relaxed. He looks around, exploring the room.

There's no need to panic. They aren't in immediate danger, and that is good. But if his fears aren't unfounded, they still can't get out of there, and that might be a problem. Both because what is probably his only chance of surviving is waiting for him in the factory, and because, judging from the apparent absence of water and food, they will have to get out eventually if they don't want to die of dehydration. In any case, if they don't somehow find a way out, they are screwed.

What to do...?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

ok, first...

both: introduce yourself each other, explaining your short stories abot how you ended there
(that's what normal people would do first, even in trouble, I guess)

Ian: you know this guy should be Luke, but...
1) remember, shadows can make shapeshifting... somehow, make Luke touch light source to check if he's human.
2) think, if you really want to tell him story about his poor mother and how you knows him (fake Elisa told his the guy on photo is her son Luke, and Ian himself had that strange deja vu feeling when he remembered about Luke)
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

I see in the last screen that luke's face recieves part of the light, so I dunno he's a shadow.

What is that light colored thing in the wall behind Ian?
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 104 wrote:ok, first...

both: introduce yourself each other, explaining your short stories abot how you ended there
(that's what normal people would do first, even in trouble, I guess)
<LUKE>: By the way, we haven't introduced ourselves properly. My name is Luke Rockluff.

<IAN>: Ian Gerdeen.

Ian and Luke spend some time telling each other a brief summary of what happened to them before they met. Luke tells Ian about the moment the fog covered the city, what happened afterwards, and what he learned about shadows. Ian tells Luke about the two shadows he encountered, and how he managed to escape with the help of "M". None of them dares to talk too loudly, in fear that something could be listening outside.
Sublevel 104 wrote:2) think, if you really want to tell him story about his poor mother and how you knows him (fake Elisa told his the guy on photo is her son Luke, and Ian himself had that strange deja vu feeling when he remembered about Luke)
Ian deliberately omits mentioning that the shapeshifter shadow he met was (or claimed to be) impersonating Luke's mother. Let's face it, the real Elisa is probably dead. And he doesn't know if Luke will be able to deal with that now. Ian will have to choose the right moment... But he will have to tell him at some point. Ian doesn't like having secrets. Too often they turn against one.

<LUKE>: "M", you say? Do you have any idea who this mysterious helper might be?

<IAN>: No, not the slightest idea.

<LUKE>: Okay, well... Let's see if I have things clear. These monsters, shadows as they call themselves, have taken out this city, or the state, or the entire world, for some reason we don't understand yet. We don't know where all the people are. You and me, and possibly "M", have somehow been separated from the other humans, perhaps because we have this sort of immunity to the darkness/fog. So we are -so to say- an "anomaly in the system", and now that shadows have noticed our presence, they want us dead. Is this right?

Ian nods in agreement. However... he has the strange feeling that something in Luke's theory doesn't feel right. Is there a piece that doesn't match? But he can't pinpoint where exactly. It's probably nothing... he soon forgets about it.
Sublevel 104 wrote:Ian: you know this guy should be Luke, but...
1) remember, shadows can make shapeshifting... somehow, make Luke touch light source to check if he's human.
Ian takes a look at Luke. That familiarity feeling is definitely there, and is much stronger. His instinct tells him that he can be trusted. But can he trust his instinct? And he can't forget that no human should be capable of breathing the dark fog. It looks so unlikely at this point it's probably stupid, but just to make sure, he should check.

Luke guesses Ian's intentions. He takes the flashlight and places his hand directly on it.

<LUKE>: No shadow could ever replace me. They couldn't handle so much awesomeness.

Ian chuckles at Luke's bad joke. It relieves a bit of their tension. Now he knows, they both know, that they are on the same side.

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:What is that light colored thing in the wall behind Ian?

They are just the remains of a poster, that was probably removed when the warehouse became abandoned. Nothing important.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

COMMAND: Inventory.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:COMMAND: Inventory.
<finally! you guys didn't use it even once in the last chapter! XD>

Luke has: his (broken) watch, a handkerchief and some painkillers.

Ian has: his phone, the flashlight (currently in use), his wallet&keys, the paper from "M", a glass piece of a former magnifying glass with Ian's dried blood, and Elisa's broken glasses...

<LUKE>: Wait, Ian! Let me see those glasses again?

Uh oh. Ian's little secret has had a short life...