BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Aquaerellum13
lost in subnet

Re: BEAST (forum story) - Chapter 1

Post by Aquaerellum13 »

They should return back for the batteries and then go on the right pathway (if they can't find the batteries, they just go on right).
Author of the book cooking with friends
LittleTornado
lost in subnet

Post by LittleTornado »

Okay, no use waiting around doing nothing. With the knowledge that this obeys some basic game rules I'm guessing that we can't return from going to M. Therefore we shuld go back to the warehouse first. Get the bateries, get the "map" if it's even still there.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

Comands:
-return to warehouse to investigate.
Totally a human. Honest!
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:Is posible to return back for the missing batteries now that you have more things to burn and a weapon?
Aquaerellum13 wrote:They should return back for the batteries
Ian and Luke retrace their steps and find the batteries lying next to the column where the flashlight was dropped.

Aquaerellum13 wrote:and then go on the right pathway (if they can't find the batteries, they just go on right).
LittleTornado wrote:-return to warehouse to investigate.
Ian and Luke carefully consider both ideas. In the end, they decide that it's better to first return to the warehouse and see if they can find the map than to wander through a new, possibly dangerous path, arguing that they will at least be better prepared to face possible threats if they are on known territory.

Armed with the lightsaber, Ian silently climbs up the ladder while Luke puts the missing batteries in the flashlight and turns it on. The ceiling window is... unbroken? What?

Ian takes a quick peek at the room...

Well, that appears to be the source of the crashing sound that startled them. One of the shelves has fallen off the wall and dumped its contents on the floor.

Where could that map be? It feels like they already explored every corner of the warehouse... it's of course also possible that the map is no longer there.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Ok, let's start.

Advice: I see now Luke has working flashlight and Ian has lightsaber. That's good. Now both have their own light source as weapon for bad situations. Luke and Ian: let each of you have at least one light source every time if it is possible.

Command:
Hmm... I can't see places where map can be hidden, if it is material map. I doubt it is hidden inside box sides somehow...
Check box sides again, maybe there's empty space somewhere?

My only other thought is that map can be written somewhere with invisible ink, and can be seen only with some kind of ultraviolet... I doubt light from lightsaber have such capabilities... Ian and Luke: ask yourselves, did you ever heard that such type of paint exists?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 109 wrote:Advice: I see now Luke has working flashlight and Ian has lightsaber. That's good. Now both have their own light source as weapon for bad situations. Luke and Ian: let each of you have at least one light source every time if it is possible.
<noted!>
Sublevel 109 wrote:Ian and Luke: ask yourselves, did you ever heard that such type of paint exists?
Luke has certainly heard of blacklight paint. He thinks it's unlikely that Collins decided to paint the map on the wall or somewhere similar; among other reasons, a material map which can be carried around would certainly be more useful while navigating the underground tunnels, and on the other hand it would be unwise to leave traces of their activity in a way that a forensic investigation would find relatively quickly.
Sublevel 109 wrote:Hmm... I can't see places where map can be hidden, if it is material map. I doubt it is hidden inside box sides somehow...
Check box sides again, maybe there's empty space somewhere?
Ian enters the room and checks the box thoroughly. The outside looks smooth, but... there seems to be some empty space between the walls of the box and the velvet lining. Certainly enough to hide a paper inside.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Oh, there's velvet lining?
Perfect! It worth a try!

We have two types of sharp objects - nails in room and in our magnet, and broken glass, in room and in our inventory.
Nails are more safe to use. I know that by my own experience... :[
So, let one try to tear velvet lining off from box, carefully, trying not to tear possible map inside, while other guarding only passage to the room. Who knows, what can come inside... *shivers*
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 109 wrote:So, let one try to tear velvet lining off from box, carefully, trying not to tear possible map inside, while other guarding only passage to the room. Who knows, what can come inside... *shivers*
Good idea! Since Luke has the nail, Ian decides to use the broken glass to carefully tear up the velvet. He reaches into the opening and feels around, until he finds what they are looking for: a small piece of folded paper!

Ian unfolds the map and adds it to his inventory.

Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

hmm
I wonder...

First:
I think "Main" is warehouse.

Second:
Luke and Ian: by any chance, is your house close enough to warehouse and located in this direction, so house marked on this map can be yours, so there's secret mobster hideout in your house's basement? XD

(hey!! Maybe we will return to house via underground passages in the future! :O)

Third:
Ian and Luke: how much turns did you make, moving from small storage room with paint can? Can it be the same room marked on the map?
(I remember they turned left, moving from warehouse, but then, with leading path of glowing paint, I am not sure how they moved)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 109 wrote: First:
I think "Main" is warehouse.
That seems right.
Sublevel 109 wrote:Second:
Luke and Ian: by any chance, is your house close enough to warehouse and located in this direction, so house marked on this map can be yours, so there's secret mobster hideout in your house's basement? XD

(hey!! Maybe we will return to house via underground passages in the future! :O)
Luke's (and Ian's uncles') apartments lie roughly in that direction but they are quite far from there, so it is quite unlikely (unless the map is not to scale).
Sublevel 109 wrote:Third:
Ian and Luke: how much turns did you make, moving from small storage room with paint can? Can it be the same room marked on the map?
(I remember they turned left, moving from warehouse, but then, with leading path of glowing paint, I am not sure how they moved)
They remember turning left again to follow the blue glowing marks in the wall. They don't remember the exact route they took, but it seems very likely indeed that the room they found corresponds to the room marked on the map.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Ok, now...

Factory is located in the "west" of the map. Then, if we suppose that underground passage can lead to place near the factory, then we should go to the "west", to passage marked with "?".

Two things bother me...

1) I understand we will possibly spend eternity, exploring every single corner of this underground maze, but what if some passages contain some useful or necessary item? Collapsed passage for example? It's known passage where smugglers were passing through. there can be some dropped or placed stuff... Should we take a chance and explore it, while it is close to us?

(what do you think, other game players?)

2) These two "?" marked places on the map? Some unknown passages... Unknown even for smugglers... For me, it looks like Collins and others somehow discovered these stone walls, and used only small part of these underground systems for their operations, never tried to explore what lies to the north-west, where "?" marked passages are...
On the other hand, they should have studied these areas, if they wanted to remain their operations in full secret. (what if there's exits where anyone can enter or exit?) Maybe they are not passages, but some rooms with unknown purposes? I dunno.. What is this place?