SUBMACHINE: The Movie Series (superfanfic text story)

RuloCore
subnet notes finder

SUBMACHINE: The Movie Series (superfanfic text story)

Post by RuloCore »

Hello. Now that Submachine series are over, I think it's the moment to tell. During 8 years I've been thinking in my mind how would it be if every Submachine episode was adapted to a movie, forming a decalogy. Recently I finished the story in my mind, with the Sub10 ending, and I think it's now the moment to let go my freak fangirl side and explain how I did plan the stories.

I will be 'releasing' the argument / plot of every episode progressively these days, when I have time to write them, and I will start with the first 'movie'. Years are orientative and there might be great lacks of continuity / coherence between plots.

Of course I had to modify some elements of the subnet world and game plot to fit all the invented character plots, but mostly they stay all the same.

SUBMACHINE
THE BASEMENT

The story starts with a flashback. An adult man is in a kind of hut with some lab equipment doing some experiments with a strange diamond-shape mineral. He is so focused. We can see a kitchen and a table where a young kid and a baby are eating and there's a woman with them.
Suddenly, the hut window crashes and we see a young man entering violently and shooting the woman with a gun. The woman falls to the ground and dies. The scientist (as we could call the first man (spoiler: he is Murtaugh ;)) gets to the corner and tells the man not to kill he and his children. He says he's not gonna do it, but while he is forcing with Murtaugh, eventually the young kid manages to escape. The man kidnaps Murtaugh and her baby daughter and we finally see the other kid running away through a forest.

~

A guy wakes up in a wooden room, disoriented and dizzy. While he recovers, he wonders where he is; he recalls never having been there, or not remembering how did he enter. He starts to examine the room and he sees it's a set of rooms accessible through open doorframes (aka not doors).
Basically the movie is this guy, called Mike, exploring the rooms of the basement and feeling even and even more claustrophobic, anxious, and trying to rememorate his recent events before appearing there. I'm still working out how could the flashbacks of his life be.

At the end, after solving all puzzles, he takes the elevator to the surface, where he exits and we see more or less the same forest we saw in the flashback with the kid running. He stares there, as if he remembered something.

~

OK, so this plot is very small because also the Basement is the most small and boring game, so it could be like the argument of an indie movie. The plot gets evolving on the second and fourth episodes. And they start to look like real movie plots since the sixth.

I'll be doing a recap of the characters we've seen til the moment, so one can relate them better:
Murtaugh: the scientist of the hut (state unknown)
Mike: the guy trapped in the Basement (alive)
Woman: presumably Murtaugh's wife (†)
Baby girl: presumably Murtaugh's daughter (state unknown)
Young kid: presumably Murtaugh's son (state unknown)
Mysterious killer: (state unknown)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: SUBMACHINE: The Movie Series (superfanfic text story)

Post by Vortex »

This is awesome, looking forward for more :D

I had a similar idea for a movie (I think I never told it here), which was about a guy playing Submachine 1 on his computer and somehow getting absorbed directly into the Lighthouse (as the beginning sequence hints). As he progresses he meets sunshine_bunnygirl, which is the typical Facebook/Instagram girl who also got absorbed into the game seemingly by mistake, she would act as comic relief. In the end they both turn out to be related to Murtaugh like in your story: Mur and Liz sent their two children backwards in time wiping out their memories because it was too dangerous for them to stay in that destroyed layer, and then created the Submachine game so they could return to the future. It's a pretty silly plot but yeah XD
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

O_o
wow...

looking forward too...

------
About my ideas about movie:

if you remember, I told about this idea before. several times.
All these years I had basis scenario. But was changing with each new subgame. And after Sub10 it should be changed again.
:D

or...
RuloCore
subnet notes finder

Post by RuloCore »

Sublevel 105 wrote:O_o
wow...

looking forward too...

------
About my ideas about movie:

if you remember, I told about this idea before. several times.
All these years I had basis scenario. But was changing with each new subgame. And after Sub10 it should be changed again.

or...
What was your idea? Is it in any topic?
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Presumely in his artwork and projectd thread, but I'm not sure, Sublevel's tends to mention projects he never post about.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:Presumely in his artwork and projectd thread, but I'm not sure, Sublevel's tends to mention projects he never post about.
no no

Not horrors or bloody subbots.

that's different.

I never told you about my movie plots. (I mean its content)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

you're still on time to tell us :P
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Yeah, if I make something that's purely Pastel related, I always announce it to the forum.
🧐
RuloCore
subnet notes finder

Post by RuloCore »

SUBMACHINE 2
THE LIGHTHOUSE

2039 (present time)
The movie starts where the previous one left. Mike sees a hut near where he is and remembers he, as a child, escaped from it. He enters the hut, now almost in ruins, but the same as in the flashback. He then explores the hut and eventually he sees a letter that seems adressed to him. The message there, says that his real father is alive, and he must follow some directions to get to him. The note is signed by "M".
We know from the first movie Mike is adopted, and he never saw again his real father, Murtaugh, but he was always curious about him and wanting to know the truth. So he follows what the message says. He has to go to some ruins inside a cave in the mountain near that forest, and enter. The ruins are the ancient SubZero ruins. He does that, and when he reaches the lower level, suddenly someone by his back sedates him.

~

Mike awakes in a red brick room with three more people: a guy and a girl who are already awake, and a bald guy still laying on the floor. He asks what happened, and both the guy and the girl say they neither can explain how did they get there, and of course they didn't remember nothing. Mike introduces to the couple, who are called Hugh and Lisa. No one knows each other. They start to wonder where they are and Mike briefly explains he was in a Basement and that he was looking for his father. Meanwhile, the bald guy also awakes and he gets like really awkward when he sees the other ones. Finally he decides to talk; his name is Charles, a (according to him) renowned doctor. They look around in case there is someone more, but they seem to be alone.
The group starts to explore the place, and it looks like another subterranean storage thing, but they find books, chairs and machines, implying someone has been already there.

Then a series of flashbacks starts, which keep appearing through the movie.

We see a 60-year-old man writing a letter in the same room Mike and the others just left, but more furnished. We can hear what he's writing: he's telling someone he needs to do a thing, because he can't already manage to control his hallucinations and that someone is making him completely mad, and he's getting weak. We see his name is Wolfgang, and after writing, he starts to cry.

The group finds some rooms with puzzles or tricks they have to solve in order to access previously blinded areas. This makes Mike wonder if someone put those puzzles as in the Basement for him, but then why are more people involved? They arrive to the conclusion it might be the same person who has his father kidnapped. But why is he/she doing that?
There is another scene in the sewers, and finally they arrive to the ground level, where the place changes to a concrete wall surrounding. They start to find traces of sand which doesn't belong there, and finally they decide to dig up some mount of sand that is blocking what they think is another corridor. Later, they arrive to a hall where Lisa gets a pamphlet and she realizes they are in a lighthouse, which they deduce it was abandoned long time ago. She reads it was built by Sir Henry o'Toole in 1857.

Hugh obtains a shovel, and they go to the blocked doorway with hopes there's an exit behind the sand. When they open a passage, they find a door which leads to the exterior. When Lisa opens it and intends to be the first one who gets through, Charles gets anxious and overtakes her, resulting in Charles being shot dead just some meters away from where the group is. They get exalted and decide it's too dangerous to exit through that door, because there is someone monitoring them.
After the tragic incident, Lisa suggests they could try to exit by the top of the lighthouse, but Mike looks very frightened because he thinks they are surrounded by shooters everywhere. Anyway, they accept.

~

While they are on the dormitories of the lighthouse, the upper part, they find some unsent and some received letters of Wolfgang, who, as shown in the flashbacks and letters, seems to be the lighthouse keeper of the Kent lighthouse. He wrote letters to a woman named Liz, saying Einstein, which was living with him in the lighthouse, was certainly crossing walls, and appearing and disappearing at random places. Even he was sure he also crossed time, because some times he looked older and younger than he was. Later, we unerstand he's talking about a cat.
In the final flashback, we see how he is walking disturbed by the rooms, talking nonsense and grabbing a gun on his drawer. He sits on his desk chair, and he shoots himself in his mouth.
In no moment Mike's group find any human remains inside the lighthouse.

~

Finally, after solving more puzzles, Mike, Hugh and Lisa arrive to the top of the lighthouse. There is a big light on the center, now off, and first Hugh checks the exterior platform (which is facing some cliffs and the sea), to be sure no one will shoot them. When he gets sure, he tells Mike and Lisa to come with him, and they do. Mike goes to the edge to look the sea, and when he is distracted, Hugh grabs Lisa and kicks Mike, pushing him down to the sea.

~

CHARACTERS

Mike: main character (state unknown)
Lisa: girl in the lighthouse (alive)
Hugh: guy in the lighthouse (alive)
Charles: guy in the lighthouse (†)
Wolfgang: lighthouse keeper (†)
Einstein: lighthouse cat (state unknown)
Liz: Wolfgang's friend (state unknown)
Sir Henry o'Toole: lighthouse architect (†)
M: mysterious character (presumably alive)

Murtaugh: the scientist of the hut, Mike's father (alive but not confirmed)
Baby girl: presumably Murtaugh's daughter (state unknown)
Young kid: Mike (alive)
Mysterious killer: (state unknown)
Last edited by RuloCore on 16 Feb 2016 02:53, edited 2 times in total.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

This is Epic!
🧐