Re: PROJECT X (by Sublevel) - development thread

Post by Postillionen »

Projects? Where? :D
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

Good point. What IS Vortex's project?
As for mine, I'm facing a unique problem where the players are busy, and the narrator isn't. Shouldn't it be the other way round?
Is this my final form?
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

I know I am not part of this development thread discussion, but... I noticed Sublevel 102's comment:
Late games lose atmosphere of obscurity and horror... I noticed that in Submachine series and in A'LLUKIN story, and I'm going to solve this problem somehow.
Submachine is still just as confounding and mysterious as it was since the first game, even with lot of plot details appearing in recent games. Submachine may never be made know to the public about its purpose. And I know my story is losing some of its uncertainty with its latest plot developments, but it always meant to be at that point.

Can you explains what you mean by what you said?
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

I think what Sublevel is saying is if a story has been put on hold for a while,or a long time,while people would initially get a feeling of suspense,they will lose interest in the story because it seems to have gone cold.
Ie."I shouldn't worry to much about character X,just wait until the author comes up with an update"
*waits*
*forgets about the story*

But on the other hand,you're right about the story not losing it's aesthetic value,even if it's gone cold.
Is this my final form?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Can you explains what you mean by what you said?
I meant this:
Late games lose atmosphere of obscurity and horror
It means that first Submachine games (1-4) and A'LLUKIN chapters (1-4) ARE triller-horror games, but late games are... lucky adventure games. After Submachine 4 gives us a lot of notes about Submachine network, and after A'LLUKIN 5 gives us a lot of characters and information, these games lose atmosphere of obscurity and horror, and I think that it is great change in game process.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

The Kakama wrote:Good point. What IS Vortex's project?
As for mine, I'm facing a unique problem where the players are busy, and the narrator isn't. Shouldn't it be the other way round?
Mine? well... it's a surprise :B
It means that first Submachine games (1-4) and A'LLUKIN chapters (1-4) ARE triller-horror games, but late games are... lucky adventure games. After Submachine 4 gives us a lot of notes about Submachine network, and after A'LLUKIN 5 gives us a lot of characters and information, these games lose atmosphere of obscurity and horror, and I think that it is great change in game process.
But Sub5 and especially Sub6 still have that fear atmosphere... at least for me. I didn't feel it in Sub7 but at the end, the Liz ship freaked me out a bit XD but the Winter Palace wasn't meant to freak people out, with those calming sounds and plants, not? The only one I felt is losing a bit that atmosphere is Sub8, I don't know why, probably because all the rooms divided into seven groups with the same architecture and arranged in a rigid disposition divided the variability of the game by 7, and that's why so many people find it so short, unlike in Sub4 for example where there's more feeling of expandedness. And probably because he used more bright&colourful ambients like in Layer 5 or Layer 7 (remember when we saw the Layer 5 water in FB for the first time? :P ). But still, the plot is the most confusing ever since Sub1 XD

And in A'LLUKIN, well ak has said it was meant to be that way, and it's not that bad actually.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Layer 7
I actually found the atmosphere of that location quite creepy.
But still, the plot is the most confusing ever since Sub1
That's not completely true. We have learned a lot about the subnet through the games each game reveals something new. What sublevel meant was this: with each new revelation the sort of urgent, "Where the hell am I!? I want to get out of here!" feeling dampens. In the sub2 thread I said that as we move along the series the feeling of horror is replaced by curiousity.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

...wait, I think it's coming back in sub8, along with a sense of urgency to find "them".
Is this my final form?