PROJECT X (by Sublevel) - development thread

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: PROJECT X (by Sublevel) - development thread

Post by Vortex »

That's not completely true. We have learned a lot about the subnet through the games each game reveals something new. What sublevel meant was this: with each new revelation the sort of urgent, "Where the hell am I!? I want to get out of here!" feeling dampens. In the sub2 thread I said that as we move along the series the feeling of horror is replaced by curiousity.
I never really had a feeling of horror. But I get your point, you say that we fear the unknown, but once we start learning things that fear disappears. But isn't that unavoidable?
Also, what I meant is that the Sub8 plot (especially the secrets) left us with much more questions than answers. Wouldn't that count against the feeling you are describing?
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Also, what I meant is that the Sub8 plot (especially the secrets) left us with much more questions than answers. Wouldn't that count against the feeling you are describing?
The game itself leaves me with a sense of curiousity (but that may be just me), but yes some of the previous have less of that fear. (side note: I haven't found all of the secrets yet)
But isn't that unavoidable?
It is unavoidable only if there is a plot.

EDIT: Has anyone played the synapsis series (a point-and-click)? It mantains the feeling sublevel mentions, but has not plot.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

The game itself leaves me with a sense of curiousity (but that may be just me), but yes some of the previous have less of that fear. (side note: I haven't found all of the secrets yet)
I had too that sense, but (for me) it was because of the ambients I described. I didn't fear Layer 5, but for example Layer 1 or Layer 6 were pretty creepy. What Sublevel said about obscurity is literal in my case XD
It is unavoidable only if there is a plot.
And Submachine has a plot :P

EDIT:
EDIT: Has anyone played the synapsis series (a point-and-click)? It mantains the feeling sublevel mentions, but has not plot.
I played it long ago and I loved it. The second part got out recently, I loved it too :)
And yeah, if it has no plot, like Daymare Town, you can maintain the mystery sense all you want.
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

I played it long ago and I loved it. The second part got out recently, I loved it too :)
And yeah, if it has no plot, like Daymare Town, you can maintain the mystery sense all you want.
Lol. :lol:
Is this my final form?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I have just completed Synapsis. I like it. :)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Sublevel 102 wrote:I have just completed Synapsis. I like it. :)
Both parts?
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

I like the second more than the first
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Today I added to story a lot of new elements of plot. I was so excited that I didn't notice that these new story elements conflict with old ones. So... *sigh* I AGAIN changed the plot.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Bonus system is added to story! :D
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Why don't you drop a hint or two? I wanna see something... :B