Submachine 2: the Lighthouse

MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Re: Submachine 2: the Lighthouse

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

OnyxIonVortex wrote:Well, that's how progress goes normally. It's not always good to renew things, but it isn't good either to always keep with the original, original, original, if everyone had that mentality we'd still be in the stone age of gaming, those text adventures, with a lot of missed graphic potential. I mean, remaking and bug fixing is not bad, and in my opinion it adds more value to the game, because more work is spent on it to make it even better for us. That's my opinion.
exactly. If I didn't have the drive to better things we wouldn't even have sub2 as it is.
I think I understand you, but understanding the idea doesn't mean that I automatically have to accept it, it's not the same. I can disagree...
same here. We do understand you. We beg to differ.

It's clear that Mateusz will need to update the game to at least remove transparency and make the letters readable, so why not take the opportunity and fix what needs fixing?
I'll need to create new version for the fullscreen / download.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Ok...
*okay face*
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Lol, what's the matter? Mateusz has said new version will be for fullscreen/download, and even if he eventually replaces the online version, the original version of Sub2 is already in many game webpages and won't be lost, so you'd have both versions anyways :)
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I have just replayed Sub2 again, and now I understand problem in latest games of series. One of them is lost atmosphere of horror and obscurity.
I still can feel this atmosphere in Lighthouse... when I listen Lighthouse ambient, when I twist valves in bathroom, when I listen that creepy sound, when you first time see Lighthouse portal...

BTW, why we didn't meet this sound in Submachine games anymore?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

That could be true, in latest games we see more colourful art, and everything's set in fresh air rather than claustrophobic enclosed spaces like those of earlier games :P

But the Temple is supposedly a building too, and we might find it to have that atmosphere.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

I find that the later games in the series have more mystique than the previous (less horror, but more mystique).

Honestly, I prefer that.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I can't see any mystique or horror since Submachine 5.
When you arrive to the Root, to new closed area, you should feel some horror and some danger going from this new submachine, BUT... I don't feel it. And it is the biggest problem. When you discover some information about Subnet, about this horrible place, you stop to feel this horror.
In Submachines 1-4 I felt and still feel this atmosphere of horror, mystique, unknowledge. In Sub 5-8 I don't feel it... And because I love early Submachines more better.

I can say the same about some other games and stories, like A'LLUKIN...
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

In sub5-8 I find that horror, unknowledge, sense of eternal loneliness replaced by curiosity (this is what I meant by mystique).
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

curiosity
THIS

In Sub1-4 Submachine brings horror, in Sub5-8 Submachine brings curiosity.