Suggestions and Ideas for Submachine: The Legacy

Kaly_Ths
subbot maintenance

Re: Suggestions and Ideas for Submachine: The Legacy

Post by Kaly_Ths »

I don't believe the lighthouse picture should match the one we see when exiting sub10. (If I understand correctly) It seems spoilery and I think the picture is supposed to depict the lighthouse in its proper, former state (unburied).

The OST being released as a DLC is my favourite suggestion of the bunch, provided that in a way it helps support the Thumpmonks, ofc.

I agree with Jatsko that restoring older versions of every single game is unnecessary. Focusing on technical elements, as well as internal logical flaws (as seen in the coil video), in the HD versions of the more prominent games, is definitely better, I think.
I certainly could, and eventually I will
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

*shrugs*

The OST will be released it's just not confirmed it will have the Demos. PLEASE LORD ADD THE DEMOS. *Clears throat* sorry for that.

*shrugs*
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I hope our lovely Lighthouse is not represented in any of Sub1's drawings of different lighthouses, because, despite how osom they are, their appearances indeed are not the same as appearance of Lighthouse in Submachine 10, plus, these pictures doesn't fit with style of Submachine 2 menu's picture, picture in Sub2 pamphlet, and, well, that drawing in Sub2, where you find 3-digit code.

And of course, if "restoring older versions of every single game" means convert them from Flash to Game Maker, so we will have two almost identical versions of game, then it is obvious wasting of time. Simple including original swf versions should be fine.

@Ko9:
"Submachine FLF without Sub 9"

As I understood, you mean swf version. Why is "sub9" in it?

And, well, if you listed swf versions of half of series' games, then why not all of them?
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

No, not the swf version. The original without the adds of FLF.

Because I am not talking about the swf version... I am talking about a new version without the adds...

Because they will be different and remade. But if you and others aren't to happy with the idea, then it's okay not adding them. *shrugs*
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Understood now.
Kaly_Ths
subbot maintenance

Post by Kaly_Ths »

Understood as well
I certainly could, and eventually I will
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

1st of November 2020 update:

Done:

Retouching graphics Submachine 1.
ISubmachine puzzle.
Replace the Lighthouse picture with the inktober picture
Add the old Submachine 2 cursor.
Add a ink cursor.
Submachine 2 Negative and Positive coils logic fix
60fps

Confirmed changes:

Release a OST DLC
Add a Submachine World Layout with the lines as long as the room count and have a blue dot representing the player that moved like in Submachine 7.
Unlocking older versions, not confirmed which yet.

Community Driven, Contradictory and Unconfirmed Changes

Make the menu full screen in the classic cannon way, Submachine 1v2.1 for example.
Replace the Lighthouse picture with the one seen in the Exit location in Submachine 10. The night sky one.
Have Thumpmonks recreate the old quote:''little chirping sound'' for Submachine 1v2.
Release a OST DLC with the demos.
Try to get all the different basements we have in Submachine the first chapter.
Remove the footage or add both the current footage and the Sub 2 sketch one.
Reimagine/replace the secrets and redefine what they are, should be and have the secret location on the main menu.
Made the menu like Sub2 sketch.
0, FLF and 32 added on the main menu.
Have 0, FLF and 32 be locations added to the games in the legacy. Like Sub 5 gets 0 and 9 gets FLF for example.
Redraw notes-pictures (because they were drawn for 400x400 format
Submachine 1 putting spoon on an electric device makes no sense.
Fix brute force in Submachine 1 with the room under the valve in some way.
Make it unable to escape Submachine 1 without a wisdom gem.
Add a open door button to the elevator so them opening is more logical.
Submachine 2 Sewers work so that you can see the pipes above you that you aren't in, should that be fixed?
Make the device in Submachine 2 that holds the gem more obvious.
Having keys named beyond their color like '2nd floor key' makes no sense.
Fix the Submachine 2 clockwise circle puzzle.
Remove the Submachine 2 menu sound.
Remove the intro puzzle Submachine 5 sound.
Remove the ᛆΨh⏐ FLF red herring.
Redraw all the footage in the game as drawn animations.
Make the shafts in the lighthouse tower ladder for the secret and negative and positive bulb more obvious.

Older versions Menu List
Submachine 1 Changelog + Isub old version + Current HD one
Submachine 2 Firetruck red version + Sketch
Submachine FLF without Sub 9 (As it was released without the adds)
Submachine FLF as HD
Submachine 3 Color Version
Submachine 0 as standalone
Submachine 32 as standalone
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

The most important thing I would like to be addressed is consistency between games:

* Sub5, Sub6 and Sub9's (grey) mover should look the same (right now they don't in the HD versions). This is especially important because a smooth transition from Sub5 to Sub6 needs the mover to look the same throughout the scene.

* Sub1 and Sub4's basement, Sub3 and Sub4's loop area, Sub0 and Sub5's ancient temple, and Sub2 and Sub5's lighthouse dungeons should also match.

* All karma portals should receive the updated Sub10/SubVerse look; all wisdom gems should look the same.

* As Sublevel says, all lighthouse pictures appearing in Sub1 and Sub2 should match.

* In general, any new changes made in a Sub <10 game should be reflected in its Sub10 version.

Besides all that, since the main series is now finished, it is probably a good time to revise the plot to make whatever fixes/retcons/improvements are deemed necessary, and perhaps even expand it a little (like Mateusz did with Sub3 HD). I don't really have any specific suggestions here yet.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some comments about the suggestions in Ko9's list:
Submachine 1 putting spoon on an electric device makes no sense.
It does make sense, but it is not obvious. An easy way to fix it would be to add a note saying something like "WARNING: Risk of electric shock, do not place any metal objects near the generator" (or the standard yellow triangle icon if you want to make it less evident).
Make it unable to escape Submachine 1 without a wisdom gem.
I don't know if this is a good idea. I think I would prefer the ability to move back to Sub1's ending from Sub2's arcade to retrieve the wisdom gem (the karma portal's sound should be there just like in Sub10, but the portal itself shouldn't be visible and the picture shouldn't be broken yet, so as not to spoil the karma portal mechanics and Basement exit location).
Fix the Submachine 2 clockwise circle puzzle.
What needs to be fixed here?
Having keys named beyond their color like '2nd floor key' makes no sense.
This is somewhat of a problem in almost all games (connection pod, iron trioxide, navigator, vector finder, handle for the X machine, etc.). I agree that it doesn't really make sense for the player to know their use in advance, but it also makes no sense gameplay-wise to name everything "unknown metal object #17". Perhaps in some specific cases like this one it can be fixed (at the expense of making the game a bit more frustrating for new players), but I don't think it is a big problem in the end. Lore-wise I guess we can assume that the player's character has been prepared by their usher before entering the Submachine and would know what most important objects are used for.
Older versions Menu List
I don't know if including playable older versions is a good idea. It would probably confuse new players, it's extra work for Mateusz, and the old base is already familiar with older versions, so I can't see how they will generate much interest overall (as opposed to the new content). Sublevel's idea of having the original SWFs seems a bit better, but I think even that is unnecessary, as they are already being saved by the Flashpoint project. The idea of having a developer's commentary for each game looks much more interesting to me.
Release a OST DLC with the demos.
Redraw notes-pictures (because they were drawn for 400x400 format)
Add a open door button to the elevator so them opening is more logical.
Submachine 2 Sewers work so that you can see the pipes above you that you aren't in, should that be fixed?
Make the device in Submachine 2 that holds the gem more obvious.
Make the shafts in the lighthouse tower ladder for the secret and negative and positive bulb more obvious.
I agree with these.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

I am fine with adding those ideas to the list, just not now since I have some stuff to complete drawing wise.

------------

-Yeah sure warning sign is okay.

-Well Covert Front 2 had the: ''I need all 3 movie reals'' part... Going back over and over could seem kinda repetitive.

-Well, bad reason but it isn't based on figuring something out it is pretty hard and it seems annoying. Bad reasons, but it was in the stream Jatsko did so eh.

-Covert Front 1 and 2 had a unknown object... I don't know, I think naming them just white and blue key would be better. And honestly, I think naming stuff unknown object is a better idea.

-*shrugs* Many people said it was a bad idea at this point, and at this point it is something I would still like to be seen but most do not. I am fine either way in the end at this point.

-Ok.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Ko9 wrote:
07 Nov 2020 12:24
-Well Covert Front 2 had the: ''I need all 3 movie reals'' part... Going back over and over could seem kinda repetitive.
I just meant it makes sense to be able to go back in this specific instance (and additionally it would justify why we were able to do it in Sub10). I agree that doing that kind of stuff all the time would seem repetitive.
Ko9 wrote:
-Well, bad reason but it isn't based on figuring something out it is pretty hard and it seems annoying. Bad reasons, but it was in the stream Jatsko did so eh.
Oh, ok, that's fair.
Ko9 wrote:
-Covert Front 1 and 2 had a unknown object... I don't know, I think naming them just white and blue key would be better. And honestly, I think naming stuff unknown object is a better idea.
I guess so. Arguably we don't even need object names anyways, the icons are enough to know what to do with them.

I guess I don't care that much one way of the other, I always considered it as a kind of meta-information (like the help menu, etc.) rather than a representation of the player character's in-game knowledge.