[Migration in prod.] The third administration: Welcome, dev & issue reports

Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: The third administration: Welcome, dev & issue reports

Post by Jatsko »

Oh I see. Thing is, according to my original plan, a lot of the currently loose threads, maybe even all of them, are ready to be put in that new subfora "other interests". That's what I had in mind when I started asking.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Forum search still returns 500 error.
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

I'm aware, it seems the update didn't fix it. It was added to the outstanding issues list, meaning I should get around to researching the issue properly... someday.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

If you type in Google this problem, problem on this forum software, it returns several results.
Did you try them? None of them helped?
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Nope, haven't even googled the problem until just now.

Having reproduced the error, taken a dive into the logs, and done some googling, it seems the error is about a "secret" phpBB dependency - or maybe semi-dependency, where it doesn't need it, but works faster if it's present - on a php module called mbstring, as per here, then here. The fine people of the phpBB support discord server tell me there's another new phpBB version out (3.3.2) which should fix this issue, or at least help with it, so I'll have the schedule another bit of downtime in the near future.

(I could just install mbstring, except in an unrelated error there's something wrong with the webserver's package manager. That seems related to this, except that error is twice as old as the current forum server and shouldn't just suddenly appear. Either way it's something I'll tread lightly around fixing, because the integrity of the package manager's public keys is sort of critical to the security of the whole system.)
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
admin3
Site Admin

Re: The third administration: Welcome, dev & issue reports (downtime scheduled for 2020-11-21 19:00 to 21:00 UTC)

Post by admin3 »

Alright, downtime scheduled for 2020-11-21 19:00 to 21:00 UTC, as per above.
Admin account of Ancient Crystal, current forum host.
admin3
Site Admin

Post by admin3 »

Alright, turns out the new forum version does address the search issue, in a way - it won't let me install it unless I fix the search issue first. This puts us essentially back to where we were before - I need to fix the package manager so I can get the mbstring module, the absence of which is the whole problem.

Subsequently, the forum version upgrade failed. I'm not scheduling another until I've fixed the package manager problem, which seems really simple - I could probably do it right now in under a minute - except I want to make very sure I'm doing it correctly first.
Admin account of Ancient Crystal, current forum host.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Okay, so this is more of a design advice rather than an outright bug issue.

When scrolling through the threads on general discussion for example, the only way I know in order to open the most recent page of a thread is to click on the page number to the right.
This creates a problem when selecting the right tab. Because you have to physically move your pointer from left to right in order to ensure you don't click on the page below or above the thread you want.

My suggestion is simple. Put some light blue lines between the thread headers. It makes it easier to to sort them when everything a white background.

And yes, I know there is a user account setter preference, but I've yet to set it up right.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Umm.... *Logs into the Forum*

Why is everything white?
Seriously, why is everything white?
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Oh, screenshot? Nothing wrong on my end.