off topic

azareus
subbot maintenance

Re: off topic

Post by azareus »

How about just sending him an e-mail. He usually responds to those pretty quickly...
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

Well, no, he must check his Facebook every so often - His last post was just 5 days ago. Any one person can message him to tell him about this problem.

@Az: I thought about that, is his email address in the Rules? I haven't checked.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Yeah, we definitely need a mod. Even if he has only the power of deleting spam; that's all we need right now.
And I don't see why wouldn't Mateusz accept our petition. It is a legitimate one.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

No, that's not the argument - A Petition is like ONE email sent by ONE person signed by us all, I thought he would consider ALL of us sending him messages as spam-bombarding.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

But why do you think one wouldn't be enough? I think he might get angry if he sees his inbox full of messages all saying the same.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

But why do you think one wouldn't be enough? I think he might get angry if he sees his inbox full of messages all saying the same.
....Didn't I say somewhere we only need one person to send the email? XD

I have no problem with a Petition, but, as you just restated, Mateusz would feel bombarded by us if we ALL sent him a message. Only one person needs to do it, possibly with signatures from everyone who asks (if even necessary.)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Oh, sorry, I read your post wrong XD
Yeah, I think that could be a solution.
Berty
lost in subnet

Post by Berty »

TBH I've noticed the spam, but I wouldn't say it's gotten out of hand.
Yeh we get like 20 new fake users a day, but they rarely post any topics, and when they do it just falls back down the forum.
how does Mur expect to prevent spam with none?
Well to be fair Akismet wasn't doing it's job, if that had been spam filtering properly then we wouldn't have needed 3 mods. Besides, 2 of them couldn't be on here bar one or two times a week.

I'd say that if any spam at all is a concern to Mat then yes he should allocate a mod about now. But otherwise I'd give it a little while longer just to get a good idea of how frequently spam does show.
But you'd also need to take into account the other reasons for appointing mods; calming people down, reminding people of the rules etc...
I think we're all being well enough behaved and courteous to each other right now that a mod isn't needed, and if we're suddenly in a position where we do need one I'm sure SG, Chaos or DR will step in anyway to calm things down, despite not being an official moderator on here, because they've proven to be sensible people.

That's my thoughts. =)
My FurAffinity Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery
"It's a really, really, really big universe and everything that can happen does happen." - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

I think we're all being well enough behaved and courteous to each other right now that a mod isn't needed, and if we're suddenly in a position where we do need one I'm sure SG, Chaos or DR will step in anyway to calm things down, despite not being an official moderator on here, because they've proven to be sensible people.
Right - Besides locking topics when heated, Mods are just the peacekeepers of the Forum, and we're all well-behaved enough to even rarely need that.

But the case here is that, even though we only have a small amount of spam, we should still have someone to clean it up before it turns into a bigger problem, which I won't be surprised if it will.
Into The Void
lost in subnet

Post by Into The Void »

If we need a mod and no one else wants to stand in, I could throw my hat in the ring. What the hell is with that warning?

Also Got my Nexus 4 today. After all the hell it took getting it, I finally have one.
Zero is the Past, One is the Future, The Present is nowhere to be found..