off topic

Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Re: off topic

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Flash is still available on browsers.
Because they know Submachine needs flash to be played... :O

Edit:

just found new people who doesn't know know what Submachine is... poor little soul...
*gives him links where he can play it in browser, because they are afraid to disable Flash completely, because they know we won';t be able to play Submachine anymore, and stuff*
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I think the killswitch won't activate until the 12th of January.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

So wait, I know flash won't be going anywhere; just the support will end.
My question is when will the games I have saved on my hard drive will quit on me?
This PC is not that old, but it was bought under Windows 7 and I didn't even convert to 10 until support was down for 7.

Suffice to say, unless I get a new PC with the ability to handle Steam...how screwed am I?
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

If you have saved the SWFs, you can still play them using a Flash Player projector version 32 or less (you can find it on the Internet). Higher versions won't work since they have the killswitch. If they are in EXE format (like the HD Submachines and Daymares) they should work without changes.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Got it. Thanks!
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Last weekend day of 11 days... :'(
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

so, it's 12.01.21...
Black day of Flash...

*plays Submachine in browser I didn't update since 2015*
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Question of decade from Sublevel, guys:

can you enlighten me, please:

What changes in meaning of noun / name of some thing, if you add "of" before that noun, and nothing is before "of"?

Prime example: name of the ship from A'LLUKIN story: not just "Empathy", but "OF Empathy".
Or I dunno, Mateusz could name his godlike game/book/film series not just "Submachine", but "Of Submachine"...

How meaning changes after "of" is added in these cases?

Thank you.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Hmm, my impression as a non-native speaker is that it's almost always used in titles, especially to create a poetic/classical feeling like in old books. I think it's some form of abbreviation, for example a book titled "Of [something]" usually was a shorter form of "Treatise on the subject of [something]" or such. In the case of A'LLUKIN the intended meaning could be "the ship of Empathy". And "Of Submachine" could be a perfectly good title (maybe a little pretentious-sounding) short for "the tale of Submachine" or something like that.

At least in Spanish we have a similar construction with 'de', and maybe it is used in Russian too with 'о', for example the translation of "Of Mice and Men" seems to be "О мышах и людях".
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

It's deliberately very ambiguous. "Empathy" is a noun - it's something that a person possesses or experiences to a certain degree. "... of empathy" is a property of something. An action can be taken out of empathy, publicity around someone's misfortune may cause an outpouring of empathy, and so forth. A name like "of empathy" is ambiguous between all these potential meanings, which only have in common that they're about something relating to or described by the concept empathy, as opposed to being the concept of empathy, if that makes sense.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.