rant board

Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Re: rant board

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Prosecuting a political opponent is... tricky. Remember, it's not just that the process needs to be fair, the public needs to be able to see and trust it is fair. When the prosecution is carried out by an administration headed by someone with a clear political interest in seeing the defendant convicted, even if this interest didn't actually influence the decision to prosecute, it's hard to avoid the appearance that it might have. Great care would have to be taken so it doesn't look like just "throwing your predecessor and opponent in jail", a common feature of politics in non-democracies, if it's possible at all.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Yeah that's a really good point. Unfortunately public opinion in this country is so untrustworthy of the government and a large enough section of the population has set an impossible standard for things Trump has to do in order to be thrown out that I don't trust anything to ever happen. Like he said, he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and would still have support after the act. He's got that much of a cult following, it's unbelievable.

(and none of them know how much of an insult to their intelligence that phrase is)
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Hopefully the guy will soon die.
Apparently there is a meme going around about Trumps tie. While at a rally he used two hands to hold a cup of water to drink.
His excuses was he didn't want water to spill on the tie, but it seems more like his health is failing.

Good.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

His health is failing, although his hair is dyed grey for appearances he is suffering from several things right now.

What I will say further is that the left in regarding to the current republican government in the USA has the moral high ground, but I believe that practicing loving your political or overall enemies is what I want to do and what people should do. If it is only a perception thing, I understand the anger, but please allow me to post a video url on why I believe this so strongly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp3q1Oaezw
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Generally speaking, wishing death for political opponents is not helpful. Even if we do hate the person, one of the core features of a functioning democracy is the peaceful transfer of power - that is, because you lost an election or hit a term limit, rather than because you died or, worse, were killed.

Obviously, from an outside perspective, some officials are worse than others, and from a strictly utilitarian point of view the consequence of an official dying in office can be good on net, because so many people's lives are affected. Still, even now I don't think it's wise to publicly wish for it.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

I agree, wishing death on someone is not helpful.

......but then again, I read this comic called Crowed: where in the near future people could put up a kick starter campaign to have someone killed.

It started on the dark web, then it grew so fast the cops couldn't take it down. So they work around it, its legal but you have to file a mountain of paperwork.
One person in the comic stated: "It help keep politicians in line, they actually have to work for the people now. Because if they don't they risk getting killed."
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

So your point is that some politicians should get killed? Or is it the old I believe Jefferson quote:"When people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is freedom." sort of thing?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

I'm not one to advocate for death. No matter who the person is.
My point is the fact that someone who wrote a comic book had to write about it like that to begin with.
If Politicians weren't so hell bent for themselves this kind of writing wouldn't come up as often.
It would still come up now and again, but given how many comics I read or browse in title have some relation to corrupt positions.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

I think I understand, you're basically saying that when people feel they're out of options to peacefully reform the system, this drives the public to consider more and more radical options, and that this should be almost expected as things continue to get worse.
JFK, 1962 wrote:"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Yeah you can always shut me up with a JFK quote, I love him so much. I believe I made like 11 portraits of the man.