Post by Boingo »

Really? D:
I'm sure you'll love it. :)
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Re: Movies!

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

- ak - wrote:
Error_3113 wrote:I agree. 2001, especially for its time, was awesome. Interstellar, however, ran into problems with the whole black hole thing. The thing with messing around with black holes is, well, they're black holes. Nearly everything is speculative about what goes on inside.
Except most everyone agree that entering black hole would be crushed into infinitely tiny point, which would be death.

That's another criticism of the film when it asked us to ignore everything we scientifically know about black hole. I would have been fine with a wormhole since it literally takes you to far away location of universe. Or at least make the black hole give off very different readings than any other black holes, that would have set up a build up toward the oddity inside that black hole.

Good movies, a lot of potentials, fell short of them.
Redirected the conversation.
Just saw an episode of Star Trek Voyager.
Season 6, Episode 12. "In the blink of an Eye".

If that is what everyone wanted, so be it.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

- ak - wrote:Except most everyone agree that entering black hole would be crushed into infinitely tiny point, which would be death.

That's another criticism of the film when it asked us to ignore everything we scientifically know about black hole. I would have been fine with a wormhole since it literally takes you to far away location of universe. Or at least make the black hole give off very different readings than any other black holes, that would have set up a build up toward the oddity inside that black hole.

As I understood, the black hole in Interestellar was a rotating (Kerr) black hole. Those black holes don't have point singularities, their singularities are shaped like rings, and IIRC there are certain trajectories around the ring where you could actually end up in another region of the universe otherwise disconnected from the main one (but we believe that those trajectories are unstable and collapse once you try to send matter through them).
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

I own 2001 and the DVD player already ate it 4 times; never got further than to the scene where the protagonist (?) talks to his daughter via some screen. I can't get over the pretentiousness those long takes with or without overplayed classical background music spray. It deeply disgusts me. I had to bite my fist during the last try.

I tried to at least read some interpretations of 2001 to close the gap in education, but had to find out that pretty much every respectable online interpretation is written by some hardcore fan who makes a page-long, inaccessible essay of it.

So yeah, I'll either have to sit through it eventually or just skip it. I'm not sure, really.
The net is vast and infinite
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

Vortex wrote:
- ak - wrote:Except most everyone agree that entering black hole would be crushed into infinitely tiny point, which would be death.

As I understood, the black hole in Interestellar was a rotating (Kerr) black hole. Those black holes don't have point singularities, their singularities are shaped like rings, and IIRC there are certain trajectories around the ring where you could actually end up in another region of the universe otherwise disconnected from the main one (but we believe that those trajectories are unstable and collapse once you try to send matter through them).
Huh. I can't remember if the movie mentioned Gargantua being a Kerr black hole or not. Even so, the movie still didn't explains enough about what make this black hole unique that allows for the third act to occur logically.
RoentgenDevice wrote:I own 2001 and the DVD player already ate it 4 times; never got further than to the scene where the protagonist (?) talks to his daughter via some screen. I can't get over the pretentiousness those long takes with or without overplayed classical background music spray. It deeply disgusts me. I had to bite my fist during the last try.

I tried to at least read some interpretations of 2001 to close the gap in education, but had to find out that pretty much every respectable online interpretation is written by some hardcore fan who makes a page-long, inaccessible essay of it.

So yeah, I'll either have to sit through it eventually or just skip it. I'm not sure, really.
The movie may be a masterpiece in a lot of areas, but I do agree that it can be such a drag in several scenes as well. That's why I prefer the sequel, 2010, over this one because I felt it actually have a good emotional story with great actings and themes.

All these worlds
are your except
Europa.
Attempt no
landing there.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

I was about to say, if anyone even watch 2010.
My dad's a huge fan of the book series.

I been reading 2061.
I've gotten through a few chapters.

That was several years ago.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Those are lengthy books
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

Yeah, they are. I tried getting into 2001 and 2061 books and they did not hold me. 2010 is still the best one for me, both book and movie.

Now if they could make an actual Dresden Files TV series that actually follows the books' plot. (no, the previous version of Dresden Files TV series doesn't count because it took liberty of doing too differently, despite the great acting cast.)
Diamonds
subbot maintenance

Post by Diamonds »

watched Jurassic World with my girlfriend. besides her, it sucked.
I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Post by gil2455526 »

WAAAAAAAA?!

I loved it!
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...