Old games, new games and screenshotmania...

Nowhere Girl
lost in subnet

Old games, new games and screenshotmania...

Post by Nowhere Girl »

The beginning of this story has nothing to do with the Submachines, but it will show how my screenshot-collecting mania started.
I'm mostly into old DOS games - things I played when I was 12 or 13 and these games were quite fresh (Sierra's "Ecoquest", "Legend of Kyrandia", most of the Dizzy series, many more or less silly arcade and platform games...) and things I've never had an opportunity to play then ("Loom", "King's Quest", "Die Hoehlenwelt-Saga", "Trolls" the trippy platformer...). My previous computer (system: Win XP) still allowed playing some DOS games without an emulator, though some weren't playable and I had to familiarize myself with the idea of emulators (btw, one of the Dizzy games - "Fantasy World Dizzy" - was specific because already around 1994 I could no longer play it, I guess already at that time my then-computer would have needed an emulator for this game - anyway, at that point I have never heard about emulators and had no internet access). My current computer (Win 7) doesn't run any DOS games without an emulator. My cousin Jim, who helps me with computer issues, installed the new version of D-Fend, D-Fend Reloaded for me and slowly I fell in love with its screenshot collection option. (D-Fend Reloaded is also compatible with Scumm VM, which also allows collecting screenshots.) I select some neat images from a game and later I'm happy to be able to look at them.
Slowly I started thinking: so why not make D-Fend Reloaded profiles for non-DOS games? (It's possible and actually convenient, it allows starting both DOS and Windows games from the same program - a profile for a Windows game simply acts like a shortcut.) I started with Dizzy fan games, then I made another step: maybe I could download some of my favorite browser games and do the same with them? And so currently I also have some originally browser-based games in D-Fend Reloaded, including "Submachines" 0-8 and 32 Chambers.
However, it's a pity it doesn't work with "Submachine Network Exploration Experience". I downloaded it, but it turned out it has three flash files: one for the game, one for the header and one for the footer (I don't know much about computers, so I won't understand it anyway). When I convert them to exe files, the game can be run, but it doesn't work.
So here's my question: maybe a little downloadable version of SNEE? I don't need any HD, just being able to download it... I also have one more reason: I'd prefer to restart it (I don't remember where I've been and where not), but I don't know how; SNEE as a "non-game" automatically saves one's progress. If I downloaded it, I'm sure it would be restarted because the cookies from the game's website wouldn't work for its copy on the disk...
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Re: Old games, new games and screenshotmania...

Post by Rooster5man »

I think a dream of all of ours is eventually a CD-Rom Submachine series, which Mateusz is currently sort of executing with the HD Series (as you're aware of.) [Don't take my words out of context: I know the HD Series doesn't mean he's working on the CD-Rom series, but just that it might eventually lead to that someday. Who knows?]

If you have to download a Submachine game onto your Desktop, it may not be Mateusz's work...I could be wrong, but other than the HD Series, I haven't heard of that. As for SNEE, maybe it's not meant to be downloaded? Maybe once SNEE is "completed," he might, but for now, it stays on the Internet.
Nowhere Girl
lost in subnet

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I found downloadable versions somewhere, and in case of parts 1 and 8 - these are directly downloaded ("save target as...") flash files conversted to exe.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Nowhere Girl wrote:I'd prefer to restart it (I don't remember where I've been and where not), but I don't know how; SNEE as a "non-game" automatically saves one's progress. If I downloaded it, I'm sure it would be restarted because the cookies from the game's website wouldn't work for its copy on the disk...
There is another way to restart SNEE. One has to go here and delete www.submachineworld.com from the list. This resets all the progress from all the games, including SNEE.

Also, we don't know if SNEE will be available to download, but it doesn't look likely, because as a continuously growing project the downloadable version would get outdated quickly. Anyways, it is up to the author to decide.
Simply downloading the swf files manually doesn't work, because they are sitelocked and detect from where you are trying to play them. Also each room has its own swf. I don't know if they can somehow be made to work offline.
gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Post by gil2455526 »

Rooster5man wrote:I think a dream of all of ours is eventually a CD-Rom Submachine series, which Mateusz is currently sort of executing with the HD Series (as you're aware of.) [Don't take my words out of context: I know the HD Series doesn't mean he's working on the CD-Rom series, but just that it might eventually lead to that someday. Who knows?]

If you have to download a Submachine game onto your Desktop, it may not be Mateusz's work...I could be wrong, but other than the HD Series, I haven't heard of that. As for SNEE, maybe it's not meant to be downloaded? Maybe once SNEE is "completed," he might, but for now, it stays on the Internet.
Just a tip: Digital versions are the future. Take Steam as an example.

Also, I don't think I have seen you before, Nowhere Girl. Welcome!
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Welcome!
If you have to download a Submachine game onto your Desktop, it may not be Mateusz's work...
I'm quite sure there was "download" option at the base of the menu in sub2, sub4 and I think also sub1 and sub3.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

cd-rom is an ancient idea.
we'll be focusing on steam or humble bundle (if they'll be interested in hosting entire series with bonuses);
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

The Abacus wrote:
I'm quite sure there was "download" option at the base of the menu in sub2, sub4 and I think also sub1 and sub3.
every game sponsored by arcadetown is downloadable. but that was their thing, they were making those dewnloadable versions from the normal small swf files.

HD versions are coming up - for every single game in the series, even the additional ones.

subnet is excluded, since it's not a game and it's not one-file, but a system of multiple files.

however one-file subnet is technically doable. just saying.
I'd just have to REDO EVERYTHING again...... -___-
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Mateusz Skutnik wrote:we'll be focusing on steam or humble bundle (if they'll be interested in hosting entire series with bonuses);
I presume it would be in HD – won't it?
Mateusz Skutnik wrote:I'd just have to REDO EVERYTHING again...... -___-
It doesn't seem worth it.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

The Abacus wrote:I presume it would be in HD – won't it?
that's kind of obvious.