Video Games

Bloodhit
subnet technician

Re: Video Games

Post by Bloodhit »

Jatsko wrote:You think so? Since it's on sale now, I'm thinking of buying it, alongside Firewatch and Parallax.
7 hours in so far. I really like how it gates puzzles, not by locking you out, with lever in another area or something like that, but by amount of knowledge on how to solve this type of puzzle you learned.

Kinda weird how it turns my GPU into turbine on par with Doom, even though its way more simplistic looking, guess it's not very well optimized.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

13 hours into Witness. It's a near-perfect combination of the best of puzzle/exploration games I've played in the past.
Bloodhit wrote: Kinda weird how it turns my GPU into turbine on par with Doom, even though its way more simplistic looking, guess it's not very well optimized.
Same.
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

Just beat the witness(the main puzzles). Fucking ending resets everything. Good thing there was sane person, that added auto-save right before it and option to load it.

Overall, kinda started really hating tetris puzzles, and sound puzzles was straight up impossible to me, not the best idea to add puzzles that relies on person having a perfect music ear. Also to the end puzzles get really gimmicky and annoying, with screens flashing/broken, timed, rotating and etc.
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

Bloodhit wrote:Just beat the witness(the main puzzles). Fucking ending resets everything. Good thing there was sane person, that added auto-save right before it and option to load it.

Overall, kinda started really hating tetris puzzles, and sound puzzles was straight up impossible to me, not the best idea to add puzzles that relies on person having a perfect music ear. Also to the end puzzles get really gimmicky and annoying, with screens flashing/broken, timed, rotating and etc.
Does this game have SUBTITLES???

If not, then it a stupid oversight and I will not be getting this game at all if recognizing sounds are the requirements to completing puzzles and possibly the game.
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

- ak - wrote: Does this game have SUBTITLES???

If not, then it a stupid oversight and I will not be getting this game at all if recognizing sounds are the requirements to completing puzzles and possibly the game.
It does have subtitles.

But the puzzle relies on drawing the sound wave depending on the pitch of the sounds. Which I don't really know how you put on the subtitles.
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

Bloodhit wrote:
- ak - wrote: Does this game have SUBTITLES???

It does have subtitles.

But the puzzle relies on drawing the sound wave depending on the pitch of the sounds. Which I don't really know how you put on the subtitles.
(beep) (boop) (bip) (...) (boooooooop) (blip)

I mean, COME ON. It shouldn't be this hard to utilize.

Games with puzzles and/or action rely solely on sounds without any visual feedbacks are poor gameplay design that harkens back to the '80 and '90. Mateusz wisely avoided this pratfall when it comes to his games and it is quite frustrating to see this lesson not being taken to heart in the Witness.
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

I mean, just listen to it(If you not care about this section spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbuaf57TcQ8 it's not that easy to put in subtitles and make any sense of it.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Something I'm interested in lately is perhaps doing a review/conversation in real time with people who have played a certain video game and we share our thoughts on it. Anyone want to do it for the Witness orother games, either via discord/Hangouts, etc? I'm thinking of setting up Hangouts or Discord in the future anyway for a Submachine-related project.
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

Bloodhit wrote:I mean, just listen to it(If you not care about this section spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbuaf57TcQ8 it's not that easy to put in subtitles and make any sense of it.
Yeah, it is not easy to put them into subtitles.

It still not a good video game design. As I look into the comments, even some hearing people doesn't get how to solve these puzzles.

Being hard for sake of being hard isn't good design nor being fun to play. It just lead to frustrating experiences. At least from the reviews I read, several other puzzles are better designed.

Still not getting it though.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

What's Witness?

It's like Submachine?