anime

ThunderDasher
subnet notes finder

Re: anime

Post by ThunderDasher »

Fullmetal Alchemist. Best anime ever. Go get yourself addicted now. Go go go go go go go go go.

...But you'll come across "Fullmetal Alchemist" AND "Fullemtal Alchemist: Brotherhood". WHAT DO I DO?

Fear not, for I am here to aid!

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST is a manga created by Hiromu Arakawa. It started back in 2000-2001 ~ish, and an anime adaptation was made by Bones as of 2003-2004 ~ish.

However, at that point, the manga itself was far from over; because of that, Arakawa offered the material she had thus far, and instructed the production team in Fullmetal Alchemist's world. She told them to make up the story past the point where the manga was at that time, however (And apparently it was rather early on). So from about half the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime onwards, the story follows a completely different direction. Keep that in mind: most of 2003 FMA isn't technically canon, since it's not a manga adaptation, but something created by Bones.

Way into 2010, however, the manga series was almost over and FMA: BROTHERHOOD started being produced. Now THIS is the actual manga adaptation; the whole canon is here. While you should not disregard the original 2003 series, Brotherhood is the actual source stuff, since it follows the manga strictly (It goes over a few details, but nothing that will ever hinder the understanding of the plot and the fun; minor things, mostly). So if Brotherhood's plot and story contradicts 2003's FMA, take Brotherhood as rule, since 2003's FMA wasn't actually done by Arakawa.

"So what should I do now?" Watch BOTH. But start by the 2003 series. Seriously, just do it. There are two reasons for that and I'll explain the second one later.

The first one is that it gets you introducted to the FMA universe, the characters, their personalities, and the overall feel for the series. It's fun, it's hilarious, it's sad, it has "The Feels" moments, and it's simply a wonder to watch, Getting started by 2003's will cause you to love FMA, but you're only getting a tiny part of the fun.

With 2003 FMA watched, you may decide to watch Conqueror of Shamballa, the movie sequel to 2003's plot, but I just jumped straight into Brotherhood. Its up to you, but Shamballa is also not Arakawa-canon.

The second reason is that the first episode of Brotherhood is actually not entirely canon. It's NOT the same as in the manga, and not the same as the 2003 series. Why is that? Think about it - how fun would it be to watch the SAME episodes that started the first series in order? In 2003's and the manga, the starting point is the Elrics' little trip to Leto. In Brotherhood, that only happens in the third episode or something. That's because not only it would be annoying to have the first episode to be the very same than that of the last anime, but it would cause mass confusion, since both begin similarly but are way different. This way, the fuss is lessened.

They just made something up and tucked in as the first episode to re-introduce the world and the characters. From the second episode onwards, it's pure manga canon. If Brotherhood tells you something that contradicts 2003 FMA's teachings - listen to Brotherhood. Don't disregard 2003 at all, but keep it as an introduction to FMA's universe before the actual fun begins. Trust me, watching 2003's, then Brotherhood is the way to go, always.

Some characters change, some characters don't exist in the opposing version, but they're both fun. In my opinion, Brotherhood > 2003 FMA, but watching 2003 FMA just makes Brotherhood much more fun!

If you'd like to discuss more with me, just lob me a message. I'll explain more in-depth, but just have fun with the series. Aaaaand don't say anything about Ed's height. Ever. He gets so pissed. :P
"...But I shall forgive you. There are some things in life that cannot be achieved." ~Wise man
NOT CHANGING THIS SIG UNTIL SUBMACHINE: THE FARM COMES OUT, which is never :/
Paranormal
subnet technician

Post by Paranormal »

Sublevel 102 wrote:absolutely dislikes animes.
That's all what I can say.

*abandons thread forever*

This has been grinding on me for a few days - if you don't like something, you're not required to post. Ever heard of the phrase "Don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?" :|

Anyways, on-topic, I've been watching Attack on Titan since Naruto ended. It's just hard to believe that the anime and manga were a part of my life for almost 12 years. Another part of my childhood, over! :(
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." ~ Charles Spurgeon
Want to add me on Discord? Send me a PM!
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

Just finished first season of Psycho-Pass, what a great cyberpunk/crime show within a dystopian world kinda in some way like in Minority Report.

Good show. Also gore, be aware ;)
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Saw both of those.
As well as the Psycho Pass lead me to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep".
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:Saw both of those.
As well as the Psycho Pass lead me to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep".
Yeah, the amount of name dropping, was very high :) I would need to get list and read all of these, sometime.
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Ugh. Binging fifteen hours of anime only to run your head into a cliffhanger at the end is... not something I'd recommend. I think I just managed to disable my capability for coherent non-anime-related thought for the next few days. I guess I'll be clean by next weekend, but then the next episode comes out. And then the next. And then the next.

I'm not looking forward to this.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

which anime is it?
ThunderDasher
subnet notes finder

Post by ThunderDasher »

Ancient Crystal wrote:Ugh. Binging fifteen hours of anime only to run your head into a cliffhanger at the end is... not something I'd recommend. I think I just managed to disable my capability for coherent non-anime-related thought for the next few days. I guess I'll be clean by next weekend, but then the next episode comes out. And then the next. And then the next.

I'm not looking forward to this.
Which one?
:?:
"...But I shall forgive you. There are some things in life that cannot be achieved." ~Wise man
NOT CHANGING THIS SIG UNTIL SUBMACHINE: THE FARM COMES OUT, which is never :/
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:Saw both of those.
So, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" served as the primary basis for the Blade Runner. I definitely need to read it.