Meditations

Redafro
subnet technician

Re: Meditations

Post by Redafro »

Uhm... well, I haven't been in high school since 1997, and in college since 2002, but while we had a tv in the class, we rarely use them, and we didn't use computers except in computer classes. I guess my point is that you could have your entire course load for all of high school available in a device and you go through it at your pace, in class, or some combination. Anything other than sit in rows for hours on end staring at white boards.

Or has high school changed so much in the past 16 years?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Redafro wrote:Uhm... well, I haven't been in high school since 1997, and in college since 2002, but while we had a tv in the class, we rarely use them, and we didn't use computers except in computer classes. I guess my point is that you could have your entire course load for all of high school available in a device and you go through it at your pace, in class, or some combination. Anything other than sit in rows for hours on end staring at white boards.

Or has high school changed so much in the past 16 years?
Well, at least here every class has the possibility to show a feed from the teachers computer on a big screen these days, which means YouTube, PowerPoint etc. are readily available. Most teachers use this regularly, although each has his or her own methods. "Going on your own pace" is kind of impossible though, unless the schools change fundamentally. Of course teachers try to get everybody to get everything, but the environment also has to be engaging for the faster learner or they get bored and don't reach their full potential. I guess you could do a class for the gifted sort of thing, but I don't think that is an option.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Have a Cell Phone (Not an iPhone, Flip Phone. Just use it if I have to Call someone about something), no Laptop, only the Stationary Computer which at my Mom's lack the Microsoft Word 2007 Version, which I need to use for my projects that can't work with any word lower than 2007. My AP Literature (Where only the Smart people are) and the majority of the Class talk to my Teacher (who I enjoy) over in Facebook on Her Page about Books we read. I don't care for Facebook because I rather talk to my Friend face-to-face, plus it advertise Obesity. Plus one Day in that class (FYI no Cellphone use is allow in my School, just in Class, not Hallway) and She ask everyone to wip out their Cellphone, use the Internet to look up something, and my Cellphone does not have Google Search Function. i don't Play Video Games on Xbox 360 because I never own one when I was young, so I watch Video Game Walkthrough on YouTube and have to lie to my friends like I played the Latest Call of Duty.

Plus it my first and only class I have in School which starts at 7:35 am in the morning. So I have to get up at 6:30 am in the morning while having to go to a Class I enjoy where half the Time I'm not fully Awake.

And yet, the Education Department in Washington D.C. can't figure out why our Education Score Suck lower than a Leech on a Butt.

Can Some People please keep one Foot in the Original Position for people like Us who haven't taken the first Step yet 2/3 of Earth Population has taken 25 step and left Us to Die.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

Have a Cell Phone (Not an iPhone, Flip Phone. Just use it if I have to Call someone about something), no Laptop, only the Stationary Computer which at my Mom's lack the Microsoft Word 2007 Version, which I need to use for my projects that can't work with any word lower than 2007. My AP Literature (Where only the Smart people are) and the majority of the Class talk to my Teacher (who I enjoy) over in Facebook on Her Page about Books we read. I don't care for Facebook because I rather talk to my Friend face-to-face, plus it advertise Obesity. Plus one Day in that class (FYI no Cellphone use is allow in my School, just in Class, not Hallway) and She ask everyone to wip out their Cellphone, use the Internet to look up something, and my Cellphone does not have Google Search Function.
Ha,in my school we aren't allowed to bring cellphones or any electrical appliances.Anywhere in school,class or not.
i don't Play Video Games on Xbox 360 because I never own one when I was young, so I watch Video Game Walkthrough on YouTube and have to lie to my friends like I played the Latest Call of Duty.
So why do you have an xbox then?And why don't you just tell your friends the truth?
Plus it my first and only class I have in School which starts at 7:35 am in the morning.
Only class?You only take one class?
Can Some People please keep one Foot in the Original Position for people like Us who haven't taken the first Step yet 2/3 of Earth Population has taken 25 step and left Us to Die.
Sometimes I feel the education system in my country has taken 25 steps BACKWARDS.
Is this my final form?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

The Kakama wrote:
Have a Cell Phone (Not an iPhone, Flip Phone. Just use it if I have to Call someone about something), no Laptop, only the Stationary Computer which at my Mom's lack the Microsoft Word 2007 Version, which I need to use for my projects that can't work with any word lower than 2007. My AP Literature (Where only the Smart people are) and the majority of the Class talk to my Teacher (who I enjoy) over in Facebook on Her Page about Books we read. I don't care for Facebook because I rather talk to my Friend face-to-face, plus it advertise Obesity. Plus one Day in that class (FYI no Cellphone use is allow in my School, just in Class, not Hallway) and She ask everyone to wip out their Cellphone, use the Internet to look up something, and my Cellphone does not have Google Search Function.
Ha,in my school we aren't allowed to bring cellphones or any electrical appliances.Anywhere in school,class or not.
In my school it is perfectly acceptable to carry your phone around during the day (Hell, the first year students all have minilaptops - from the school) although its use in class is not allowed. Well, some do it anyway, but that's how things go with rules.
i don't Play Video Games on Xbox 360 because I never own one when I was young, so I watch Video Game Walkthrough on YouTube and have to lie to my friends like I played the Latest Call of Duty.
So why do you have an xbox then?And why don't you just tell your friends the truth?
I agree, why don't you just tell them? Some friends they are if they care if you played some game or not. Besides, YouTube LP's are not the same as actual gameplay, you will be almost as out of the discussion if you hadn't played the game at all.
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

Call of Duty sucks anyway.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

(Hell, the first year students all have minilaptops - from the school)
:shock: Nice school.
I agree, why don't you just tell them? Some friends they are if they care if you played some game or not. Besides, YouTube LP's are not the same as actual gameplay, you will be almost as out of the discussion if you hadn't played the game at all
Just tell them you play Submachine.With a name like that,they'll think it's some kind of new game they haven't played yet.
'Works for me.
Is this my final form?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

The Kakama wrote:
(Hell, the first year students all have minilaptops - from the school)
:shock: Nice school.
They probably get extra funding for doing that. I'd think so, anyways.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

There were rumours here not long ago, that they would add computers in classes to avoid buying expensive and weighty books and to allow for more possibilities doing everything informatically.

But it hasn't been implemented, nor have I heard about that anymore, so...
azareus
subbot maintenance

Post by azareus »

We have 8 computers to share between my class and the parallel one. They assume everyone else will bring their own. We do.