Doctor Who Discussion

Berty
lost in subnet

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Berty »

Not sure if a furry joke would be appropriate here or not.
Well it's not really a furry joke.
It's just a bit of silliness I threw in there to counteract all the "DIE MOFFAT DIE!" that was in it.

But I've always found it funny how they've hinted at a certain Captain Kirk quality the Doctor has, If ya know what I mean. =P
My FurAffinity Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery
"It's a really, really, really big universe and everything that can happen does happen." - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
Alamos
lost in subnet

Post by Alamos »

Well it's not really a furry joke.
No... i meant that it was mildly amusing that you said that.
Y'know. Being a furry and all.
I dont mean to stereotypicalyse or anything.
Thats why i wasnt sure if appropriate or not.
Just found it amusing is all.

You... are a furry right?
With the FA page and the furry avatar?

Oh wow i am awkward.
Berty
lost in subnet

Post by Berty »

Ah I see what you meant now. XD
I didn't intend for that to be the joke. =P
I just meant it may have been a Freudian slip (minus the slip) from the writers showing what their minds are really focused on.

Normally I say it depends on what your definition of a furry is. Because if your definition is different to mine, and I say yes, you get the wrong impression of me.
See, my definition is; Wants to be a part of a community of great writers, artists and designers.
If yours is; Wants to run around in a fox costume eating berries, then we big misunderstanding. =P
But anyway, the OFF TOPIC alarms are sounding.
My FurAffinity Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery
"It's a really, really, really big universe and everything that can happen does happen." - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
Alamos
lost in subnet

Post by Alamos »

Wants to run around in a fox costume eating berries, then we big misunderstanding.
Just want to get something straight:
I count the label of "furry" as a term used to cover everything within it, but things are very VERY different underneath it.
Lets put it this way; fursuiters are very different from artists (though they might overlap) and nowhere NEAR everything has something to do with the "taboo".
But anyway, the OFF TOPIC alarms are sounding.
Indeed, which is why i shall repair the rails by saying that i am intrigued about the new reincarnation plotline, and i also bet the tempo-spacial anomaly that is Clara Oswin Oswald is caused by the doctor in some uncertain point in the future.
Berty
lost in subnet

Post by Berty »

Oh, yeh I really like the idea they've got going where it's the Doctor vs the Universe. Where he's just trying to get one little victory over the Universe.
For me it all started back in the first series of the reboot, I think it was the episode called "The Doctor Dances" where he said "For once everybody lives."
And he's been striving for that scenario again ever since, but after losing so many people he finally just snapped (The Waters of Mars) and told the Universe to take its rules and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. Then he tried the hands off or not as involved approach, which just made him look like an angsty teen and a bit of a dick, so he was sulking over the fact that he can't find a way to get one over on the Universe.
And then he finds an impossibility. Something that should never happen. A weak spot in the Universe. Something he may be able to take advantage of.

It's just a shame that the weak spot is something as feeble as a girl who exists in multiple different time eras.
caused by the doctor in some uncertain point in the future.
Yes, I have a feeling that's where Moffat is going to take this.
I count the label of "furry" as a term used to cover everything within it, but things are very VERY different underneath it.
Probably one of the better definitions I've heard. Though I don't quite know what you mean by underneath it... I don't know anyone who takes that side of it seriously. =P
I find that side of the fandom to be hilarious. Some of the ideas people come up with...
My FurAffinity Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery
Alamos
lost in subnet

Post by Alamos »

"The Doctor Dances"
It was New Earth, when he (instead of killing) cures the plauge victims.
It's just a shame that the weak spot is something as feeble as a girl who exists in multiple different time eras.
Well it has the potential to be a game breaker.
Girl grows old and chops it?
Find a new one!
Infinite companionship! :D
Though I don't quite know what you mean by underneath it...
Uuuh... the cover! Underneath the cover. :phew:
Poor choice of words on my part.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

For me it all started back in the first series of the reboot, I think it was the episode called "The Doctor Dances" where he said "For once everybody lives."
And he's been striving for that scenario again ever since, but after losing so many people he finally just snapped (The Waters of Mars) and told the Universe to take its rules and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.
As Alamos corrected, it was the one with the nanogenes, the two-parter. But I do like that title because that was the running gag in that episode XD

However, I see your point now - The beginning of the Christmas Special reminded me that the Doctor always wants to save the Universe, but now he's "accepted" that "the Universe doesn't care." (or did until he met Clara.)
...But that doesn't excuse them from having plot holes the size of Canada in them. Like I said earlier, Moffat is producing nonsensical crap. That's what I'm mostly pissed off at him for.
I understand the Christmas Specials are meant to be lighthearted and fun, but what sets this one aside is that we have a new Companion coming into play here, which, now we know, the rest of the season teeters on.
and i also bet the tempo-spacial anomaly that is Clara Oswin Oswald is caused by the doctor in some uncertain point in the future.
As Berty said, Moffat might go in that direction, but just why...? Hasn't he learned yet?

The point is: Even if the Christmas Specials aren't meant to be taken seriously and they're fun for the whole family, they should at least be relevant to the plot, ESPECIALLY if you're introducing a Companion to it.
Into The Void
lost in subnet

Post by Into The Void »

Some clipnotes and clarification on new data regarding this episode.

1.) The "Villain" of the episode was actually known as the "Great Intelligence". For anyone that does not know what that is go to http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Intelligence

So Moff made a callback of an Great Old One, something unexpected and if it was not for the dull as hell story could have been far more interesting.

2.) The Doctor's acquaintances in the episode would have been far better companions than Clara. Their role in the story to no matter the purpose served a far more interesting interaction than what Clara would have had. Plus a Sontaran, a lizard, and a girl in a TARDIS having adventures just sounds straight up fun.

3.) "The Girl that died twice!" Really Moff? Enough of these lame ass titles for characters. It irked me for "The girl that waited!" but this is just sad. Plus considering the whole series that is Doctor Who, its not uncommon for someone to die more than twice,(coughCAPTAINJACKcough) especially with Time Travel being a primary element. There is nothing that is making this girl interesting at all and it just shows that Moff is being desperate here with his writing.

4.) Sherlock Homes Reference = Doctor Who. Considering that its no secret that Moff writes for "Sherlock" (and actually gives a damn when writing as well!) This could just be a reference just to stir up fans of both series to go nuts about it on the internet. I already saw it first hand.

5.) Clara has the same cockiness that Amy had. This infuriates me to no end, except this time there is no Rory to make it watchable.

6.) We could have had a change in direction and have something similar to the First Doctor again. Not wanting to interfere with humanity, not dealing with/caring about annoying companions, not being afraid to kill if needed. A Doctor that just did not care for playing it safe and responsible anymore just someone who has had enough of the way things are and will only do things on his and ONLY his terms. Sadly with Clara it seems he has once again softened up and will become a pushover for said companion. Give me my goddamn GRIMDARK Doctor already..

There is more I can keep going on about, but I think this is enough for now..
Zero is the Past, One is the Future, The Present is nowhere to be found..
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

I like Dr. Who, but haven't had the time to get into the new series yet. However, I thought some of you guys might enjoy this:

http://www.badphilosophy.com/blog/2012/ ... ly-woddly/

This is a podcast from one of my favorite podcasts (I've even been on their show once), and they are almost always entertaining and interesting. 8-)
gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Post by gil2455526 »

dammit! stop posting season 7 stuff! I haven't watched it yet!
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...