Doctor Who Discussion

Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Rooster5man »

SPOILERS (as in: Gil, don't read if you haven't watched Season 7 :P)
1.) The "Villain" of the episode was actually known as the "Great Intelligence". For anyone that does not know what that is go to http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Intelligence

So Moff made a callback of an Great Old One, something unexpected and if it was not for the dull as hell story could have been far more interesting.
Interesting, and I read that House (from Neil Gaiman's episode) was supposed to be GI as well. I wonder why they didn't expand on that plotpoint in the Christmas Special then, knowing GI and the Doctor have a history.
2.) The Doctor's acquaintances in the episode would have been far better companions than Clara. Their role in the story to no matter the purpose served a far more interesting interaction than what Clara would have had. Plus a Sontaran, a lizard, and a girl in a TARDIS having adventures just sounds straight up fun.
I actually would like to see more of those characters, but I doubt Moffat will let that happen...
4.) Sherlock Homes Reference = Doctor Who. Considering that its no secret that Moff writes for "Sherlock" (and actually gives a damn when writing as well!) This could just be a reference just to stir up fans of both series to go nuts about it on the internet. I already saw it first hand.
I thought of that too, his thinking: "I'll be lazy and combine both!"
6.) We could have had a change in direction and have something similar to the First Doctor again. Not wanting to interfere with humanity, not dealing with/caring about annoying companions, not being afraid to kill if needed. A Doctor that just did not care for playing it safe and responsible anymore just someone who has had enough of the way things are and will only do things on his and ONLY his terms. Sadly with Clara it seems he has once again softened up and will become a pushover for said companion. Give me my goddamn GRIMDARK Doctor already..
Yeah, it was such a quick turn-around, it's like Matt Smith can only be serious for two seconds before being loving and caring again. I really had hope that we'd see a bit of Eccleston in Matt Smith now, but I doubt it. If Moffat makes him "grimdark" later in the Season...I guess it wouldn't be all that bad, even though it'd be too late.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

The Season's almost over and this thread hadn't even been revived :P
Babylon
subnet notes finder

Post by Babylon »

I've been watching. I didn't want to have a rant about it in fear of spoilers.
I'm not a latin popstar.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

Oh, well, you can say *spoilers*. What's the rant? I'd rather talk about it with someone here :P
Babylon
subnet notes finder

Post by Babylon »

I just generally dislike Matt Smith. I thought it was the whole concept I didn't like, but I watched a few back episodes with David Tenant in, and they seem unbelievably good compared. Still not even in the league of some shows, but defiantly a lot better.
I'm not a latin popstar.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

It's because of Moffat. I agree with you - Smith himself isn't a bad actor, he's just put into crappy situations. I'm not really fond of the Matt Smith seasons, and I think it has to do with Davies' departure...
Babylon
subnet notes finder

Post by Babylon »

I think it has become to camp now, which, with no disrespect to camp people, makes it hard for me to take seriously. That would be fine in a lot of other genres, but in sci-fi it just seems silly. It's trying to hard to be comedy, not a serious show.
I'm not a latin popstar.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

I guess, but I thought it was always camp - It was never really that serious. An alien who looks like a human that goes exploring the Universe in a blue box and only picks up Companions in England? That's a bit insane-funny.
Into The Void
lost in subnet

Post by Into The Void »

It amazes me that this is still active!

As for Matt Smith, he is a good actor and a Great Doctor, its just his writing that is holding him back. Even then he still tries to flourish even when the story is not all that great.

The same can be exactly said for the Colin Baker "6th Doctor" years. He had great potential but was held back by terrible writing. He knew this and with what he was given he tried his damn hardest to make him appealing even when the stories were not. Its why those years are so polarizing towards fans.

As for the latest episodes, they have been quite up in down.

A quick rating of them by me would be:
"The Bells of Saint John" 8/10
"The Rings of Akhaten" 3/10
"Cold War" 4/10
"Hide" 4/10
"Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" 9/10
"The Crimson Horror" 8/10
"Nightmare in Silver" 8/10

Like I said, strong opening, got weak fast, then built itself back up and stood strong since. Here is hoping the last episode of the season really stands out!

Also until everyone else has seen these episodes I am holding off on full reviews on them in fear of spoilers.
Zero is the Past, One is the Future, The Present is nowhere to be found..
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Where has the code gone? This thread needs need it! For now, I guess we'll just have to white-font it.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.