Doctor Who Discussion

Death Road
lost in subnet

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Death Road »

it sorta bugged me from when it was first mentioned that they just sent you back in time
i was wondering how that would at all inconvenience a time lord
Lack of Tardis?

Also, I was never in the discussion on the old forum's Doctor Who thread, but guess what! I'm now on the first season of the 11th Doctor and have been watching them chronologically with the exception of me also watching the new season when my girlfriend watched them.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

Also, I was never in the discussion on the old forum's Doctor Who thread, but guess what! I'm now on the first season of the 11th Doctor and have been watching them chronologically with the exception of me also watching the new season when my girlfriend watched them.
*Whovian chant* XD

You should definitely watch the other Doctors afterward though *wants to make a joke about a certain somebody, but doesn't know if it'll ruin it for DR*

Where are you up to?
Death Road
lost in subnet

Post by Death Road »

Only the first episode of Season 4. So I've seen all of 9 and 10, but only the first episode with 11 along with all of the current season so far.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

So basically you just haven't seen Seasons 4 (or the rest of it yet) or 6 then, right? That's better than I thought, I misread and thought you meant you started with Matt Smith.
Death Road
lost in subnet

Post by Death Road »

I take it back, obviously since I'm on a new doctor season has changed. I've only not seen seasons 5 and 6. The first two of the 11th. Seen all the rest.
Into The Void
lost in subnet

Post by Into The Void »

Rooster5man wrote: And there's the irony - Rose was infinitely more important and a better character than Amy, not saying that Gillan was a terrible actress, it's just the character was meh.

Also, about cutting episodes: I actually liked Night Terrors, but Closing Time was forgettable (more of like a "Buddy Comedy" episode with the Doctor and Craig than anything - which was probably Moffat's purpose, but that's besides the point, being it's not a good fit for one of the final episodes.)

Other than that, I completely see where you're coming from and agree with you - Six was a hell of a lot better than Five, at least by a longshot, but ended rushed/terrible.

As for Rose, I try to have no opinion on the matter because I can understand how a lot of old school whovians and even some new ones would hate her. But I do admit that I did enjoy her, Amy as just an annoying girl who tried to get into The Doctor's jammies while also avoiding responsibility every way she can. Also straight up ignoring and forgetting Rory every turn. Rory being probably one of the best male companions in the whole series thus far, having to put up with her crap while also facing danger left and right, not to mention
Getting killed and brought back to life so much that not even he can take it seriously anymore. The goddamn man stood by her for 2000 YEARS and she still treats him like crap. I also love how she was stuck for 30 years and had the nerve to yell at Rory as to how long she had waited for him, as if he did not do anything like it before. Amy was just a terrible person that did not deserve a damn worth of anything, let alone The Doctor or Rory.

As in response about Night Terrors, while it had potential it was bogged down with a story that was WAY too familiar to the episode "Fear Her", an episode which I have a personal hatred for, mainly for the reason of the little girl pissing me off so much. Night Terrors was essentially the same but replace the little girl with a little boy. Still annoying, technically worse considering that they did not even bother going into what exactly the boy was in terms of species. Closing Time was a terrible episode to play near the end of the season, I got what they were going with it but I simply felt put off guard by how close it was to the finale and we have an almost throwaway episode. It was funny, but the Cybermen just felt thrown in without any thought at all to the story. You could have replaced it with any other monster and it would have been just as irrelevant. The real kicker to the whole thing being terrible was the end when
Craig was about to be converted into a Cyberman, but because of his baby crying he was able to stop the process through THE POWER OF LOVE AND HEART which I cannot stand AT ALL. Its unrealistic and it does not belong anywhere in a sci-fi series of any kind. This is the primary reason why Victory to the Daleks was so terrible and why The Christmas Episodes were terrible lately, it relies on this unrealistic principal that Moff is trying to force into this series but it makes no goddamn sense. It sticks out like a sore thumb and would not ever have happened in the old series.

I think we can all agree however that Curse of the Black Spot could be ridden of completely, with the exception of Space Pirates, everything about that episode was nothing worth filming or remembering.

Also while Season 6 was good, Season 5 had a better finale. Season 6 was incredible in its opening and its mid season finale, after that however it did not have the same push as it did before, which with the Finale it was a whole lot of everything happening at once, and not enough time to really enjoy it, making it disappointing to sit through.

Death Road wrote:I take it back, obviously since I'm on a new doctor season has changed. I've only not seen seasons 5 and 6. The first two of the 11th. Seen all the rest.
But the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) is not introduced with his own series until 5. S1 was 9th, S2 was 10th with Rose, S3 was 10th with Martha, S4 was 10th with Donna, S4.5 was just the 10th. S5,6,and 7.1 have been with 11th.
Zero is the Past, One is the Future, The Present is nowhere to be found..
gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Post by gil2455526 »

Oh, I was speaking of season 7. There is no open BBC channel here, only on cable (and very specific ones too...)

I watched from mid season 3 to 6 compleatly
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...
Death Road
lost in subnet

Post by Death Road »

But the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) is not introduced with his own series until 5. S1 was 9th, S2 was 10th with Rose, S3 was 10th with Martha, S4 was 10th with Donna, S4.5 was just the 10th. S5,6,and 7.1 have been with 11th
Well I was only through the first episode of season 5 when I said that. Hence why I said I hadn't seen season 5. Now I've watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

As for Rose, I try to have no opinion on the matter because I can understand how a lot of old school whovians and even some new ones would hate her. But I do admit that I did enjoy her, Amy as just an annoying girl who tried to get into The Doctor's jammies while also avoiding responsibility every way she can. Also straight up ignoring and forgetting Rory every turn. Rory being probably one of the best male companions in the whole series thus far, having to put up with her crap while also facing danger left and right, not to mention
(not copying everything for spoilers) EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID I'VE BEEN SCREAMING ABOUT FOR MONTHS. XD
As in response about Night Terrors, while it had potential it was bogged down with a story that was WAY too familiar to the episode "Fear Her", an episode which I have a personal hatred for, mainly for the reason of the little girl pissing me off so much. Night Terrors was essentially the same but replace the little girl with a little boy. Still annoying, technically worse considering that they did not even bother going into what exactly the boy was in terms of species
I guess, probably just my preference of the creepiness of that :P
Its unrealistic and it does not belong anywhere in a sci-fi series of any kind. This is the primary reason why Victory to the Daleks was so terrible and why The Christmas Episodes were terrible lately, it relies on this unrealistic principal that Moff is trying to force into this series but it makes no goddamn sense. It sticks out like a sore thumb and would not ever have happened in the old series.

I think we can all agree however that Curse of the Black Spot could be ridden of completely, with the exception of Space Pirates, everything about that episode was nothing worth filming or remembering

I (sadly) agree with this all. In retrospect, it's just terrible, but I guess we have to hope that it's only some sort of a "rough patch."
Also while Season 6 was good, Season 5 had a better finale. Season 6 was incredible in its opening and its mid season finale, after that however it did not have the same push as it did before, which with the Finale it was a whole lot of everything happening at once, and not enough time to really enjoy it, making it disappointing to sit through.
They should've mixed and matched :P
Oh, I was speaking of season 7. There is no open BBC channel here, only on cable (and very specific ones too...)

I watched from mid season 3 to 6 compleatly
Oh! Yeah, I luckily have BBC America, didn't find it until this year though :P (hence why I started watching.)

@DR: I'm still a little confused, but you've seen everything except for most of Season 5 and all of Season 6. You've seen all of Eccleston (which is only a season, regardless) and Tennant?
arkla
lost in subnet

Post by arkla »

i thought the doc could call the tardis
he did it in the paradox episode back in reboot season 1

although that might have been extenuating circumstances, he's never really had the need to do it again