Unofficial Submachine port for Android

SaintJon
lost in subnet

Unofficial Submachine port for Android

Post by SaintJon »

So I created an Unofficial Submachine port running natively on android.

video demonstrating basic game play mechanics for the engine

https://youtu.be/m_739rzeJzU

I will post on youtube and this thread about any updates. Right now im working on polishing up the engine so I can start developing a full game. I used the beginning of Sub 0 cause it has the basic elements for a submachine game engine. My goal is to *Hopefully* get all sub games on Android starting with sub 0.I will post a .apk file to download once the engine is all polished and I have a full running game on it. I also may need Mat's permission because its his game and the assets for all of these games will be from the subHD collection.

How it works without getting complicated

1. The submachine game .swf is decompiled to get all sounds/artwork/assets/whatever
2. All still images and flash movieclips are converted to .gif through adobe flash
3. The newly created .gif's and other assets from the original game are given over to a completely new game engine (created by me)
4. The game engine automatically maps out the entire game and places buttons wherever appropriate.
5. I write some code to specify some button sizes and what happens when an item is used.

and thats it :D

There are some MINOR differences between the PC version and Android version
-The inventory works a bit different cause the user is touching, instead of clicking
-Loading times are a tad bit slower (cause Android hates big bitmap file sizes)
-When an item is clicked it is a linear path to the inventory instead of a curvy path(I need to implement this still)
-Some colors may be broken during animations(Still need to fix, these colors are fixed by reloading the room)

Feel free to ask any questions :D
Ive been on the forums since it was Pastel Forums. Just changed usernames. Just a long time lurker here...
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Unofficial Submachine port for Android

Post by Jatsko »

Oh that's beautiful. Makes me want to have an Android phone :D

I imagine the larger games will be a problem (screen data) in the future though. :/
SaintJon
lost in subnet

Post by SaintJon »

Not really, the engine has a caching system where it only loads what is needed to be loaded. The only touble memorywise is playing very long animations(like the ending of sub10) But that can be fixed by splitting up animations into sections and loading one at a time.
Ive been on the forums since it was Pastel Forums. Just changed usernames. Just a long time lurker here...
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

holy subhow!

you made your own engine.
:O

just...
speechless...
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller