Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Languages

Post by Vortex »

Show!
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Vurn wrote:Imo, it'd be better if the language was shit hard, but if you'd be actually able to speak it fluently. Would be fun to actually make it. I have quite a few symbols (for the Hellish alphabet) drawn already.
Well, moods and cases and genders and numbers and tenses certainly add to difficulty. The problem with that is that the human articulacy system is limited though.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

The aren't only humans in hell >:D
Though yeah, we should at least make it so that theoretically if one teaches his/her children they could learn to speak it fluently.
Mwahahahaah.
Last edited by Vortex on 13 Dec 2012 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

The whole point of language is to make communication easier.No matter how hard a language is,once it is learned,complexity is no longer an obstacle.Even if the language is extremely difficult,it can be simplified into an informal version.So the best language to be spoken in hell is nothing.No language would mqke it extremely difficult for one to communicate.
Is this my final form?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

But if a language is infinitely complex, it would take infinite time to learn (not?), so better to try to impose that language than to leave them with no language and the possibility of inventing their own XD
gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Post by gil2455526 »

Do you think in 1000 years we will speak only one language?
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

I hope not. People would lose some of their ethnicity.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I think it's nearly impossible for everyone to speak only one language. Look what happened with Latin. Everyone was speaking it, and then it splitted in the different romance languages. Same could happen with English, unless Internet and the globalization prevents that from happening.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

In my opinion it is impossible for everyone in the world to speak the same language and remain that way. However, I do believe that it is possible that at some point in time we will all be speaking the same language. History has thought us that events happen and things change. However, all of this is simply an opinion, so I may be proved wrong.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

I find it funny how the words for "Germany" (and "German") are so different in European languages. In German, it's "Deutschland". In Polish, it's Niemcy (which supposedly means "mute ones" because ancient Poles couldn't understand shit of what they were saying). Obviously it's different in English. In Danish, it's "Tyskland", and in Portuguese it's "Alemanha". Usually, names of countries are pretty similar in different languages.
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.