Languages

Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Re: Languages

Post by Anteroinen »

Only three? :mrgreen:
I was just about to ask that. Obviously all genders and ages and social statuses use their own alphabets.

EDIT: Take a look at Nü Shu, for instance, the embroidery (is that the word) script, used by women who weren't allowed to learn to write Chinese.
Do they really use German written with Cyrillic alphabet?
I don't think so, but they have Yiddish (Jew German) and Russian so there is high potential for that. :mrgreen:
If you want to conjugate it through one of the 27 cases
Verbs conjugate, nouns decline. And that's not nearly enough case-wise. We need at least twenty eight locative cases, probably more, like in Tsez. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsez_language) Then the natural vocative, benefactive, instrumental, abessive, genitive (why not differentiate between origin and possession and have possessive as well). Plus equival case to replace the stupid word "like". Oh, an a "locative" series for state (translative, essive, exessive), ie. in "I became a president" president would be in translative. Prolative (via) is also needed.

Why stop with 27 is what I'm asking.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

In Navajo the words for lift, carry, give, etc. are different depending on the shape of the object, and there are no consistent rules for marking tense. How's that for hard grammar?
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Taalit wrote:In Navajo the words for lift, carry, give, etc. are different depending on the shape of the object, and there are no consistent rules for marking tense. How's that for hard grammar?
Perfect for our fictional Hellish. :twisted:
Bloodhit
subnet technician

Post by Bloodhit »

So, what difference between words "strange" and "weird"?
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Bloodhit wrote:So, what difference between words "strange" and "weird"?
I think they're synonyms, not? Though strange is rather like away from the usual, and weird is that plus shocking, at least I use it like that.

Btw, welcome again Bloodhit :D
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Bloodhit wrote:So, what difference between words "strange" and "weird"?
Well, weird means "odd and unusual in a way that is hard to explain" or "mysterious in a frightening way", while strange means "surprising and unusual, in a way that is hard to explain" but also "unfamiliar because you have not seen it or have not met it before". So there.
azareus
subbot maintenance

Post by azareus »

How about Hellish consisting of only one letter and then different alphabets for different genders/social statuses. Like a rich man might use the letter A exclusively, then just change the pronounciation depending on the word. A poor woman might use the letter H, and so on.

Oh, and also 10 different genders for words with no comprehensible system. And let's just add that they change depending on shape, weight, time, tense etc.
oilage
subbot maintenance

Post by oilage »

ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ
ZOMG 2000 POSTS IT ONLY TOOK ME 4 YEARS
-- Lucas Gelati, on his last day on the old forum.
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

Ok, let's get started on the pronouns.

I - 12 different ones depending on gender (male, female) and age (kid, teenager, adult, middle-aged, old, primordial (like Satan or God))
You - 12 combinations + 3 different ones depending on if you don't know the gender, the age, or both
He/she - 15 combinations
It - 20 ones (physical state (I think solids, liquids, gases, plasma, Einstein-Bose condensate, I think it's enough) movement (if it's moving or not), gender)
Last edited by Vurn on 07 Dec 2012 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Ba dum tsss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=583zhKnsDjI

The difference between "strange" and "weird" is very small. You can find it by comparing words "stranger" and "weirdo".