The Math Thread

Death Road
lost in subnet

Re: The Math Thread

Post by Death Road »

Vortex, what college? And Theta, what are you looking at for colleges?

I am now a junior in college. Also, as it turns out I will graduate as a Computer Engineering major with both Computer Science and Math minors.
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

[quote]I am now a junior in college. Also, as it turns out I will graduate as a Computer Engineering major with both Computer Science and Math minors.[quote]
Nice :3

and to Theta... make sure it is a good college! Even though that still won't be a guarantee of landing a job... look at me, it took me a while to actually get one because of bad luck and timing D:
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

Death Road wrote:Vortex, what college? And Theta, what are you looking at for colleges?

I am now a junior in college. Also, as it turns out I will graduate as a Computer Engineering major with both Computer Science and Math minors.
I just finished my application to UGA and I'm working on my application to Emory now. Emory is my first choice.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Death Road wrote:Vortex, what college?
Well, it's an university from my region, you probably never heard of it...
azareus
subbot maintenance

Post by azareus »

OnyxIonVortex wrote:
Death Road wrote:Vortex, what college?
Well, it's an university from my region, you probably never heard of it...
Hipster Vortex is hipster.

:P
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Also, pi in general doesn't occur very often in logarithms or exponentials at all unless you're applying them to complex numbers, so you're kind of just giving an overall topic and then stating all of the things it includes.
Well yeah, but all sinusoids can be decomposed into complex exponentials, so essentially pi is almost always associated with imaginary numbers.

Also, are you guys debating tau vs pi? Is nowhere safe from the monstrosities of that debate? D:
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

dVanDaHorns wrote:
Also, pi in general doesn't occur very often in logarithms or exponentials at all unless you're applying them to complex numbers, so you're kind of just giving an overall topic and then stating all of the things it includes.
Well yeah, but all sinusoids can be decomposed into complex exponentials, so essentially pi is almost always associated with imaginary numbers.

Also, are you guys debating tau vs pi? Is nowhere safe from the monstrosities of that debate? D:
I started it! :twisted: I really didn't realize it was more than an interesting point though.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
dVanDaHorns
subbot maintenance

Post by dVanDaHorns »

Ah, well I see then!

I personally am not a fan of tau, merely because it's a larger number, and thus it would make things like radians and exponential Fourrier series a lot more inconvenient to write out, due to the increased numbers of fractions.

That, and if there were to be some big change in the notation of mathematics that would involve changing everything I have learned to this point, I would rather it be a push towards a hexidecimal number system, since it's a lot more convenient to work in compared to decimal.
Death Road
lost in subnet

Post by Death Road »

So, what exactly do you debate in tau vs pi?

And also, HEY! I recognize dVan's equation.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Death Road wrote:So, what exactly do you debate in tau vs pi?

And also, HEY! I recognize dVan's equation.
tau = 2*pi, which makes one full turn one tau, not two pi and so on. Is this logical or just frivolous, ridiculous and silly?
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."