Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Re: Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Uncomfortable? Not at all. I just mean that, after quite some time of being emotionally invested in this, the leaving the project be had an appealing sense of closure to it.

But yes, if one truly wished to perform work, using that game as a modelling tool of sorts is workable enough. That was my plan, for a long while. It might even have worked if I hadn't descended into the deepest pit of over engineering I've ever seen, with autonomous administration systems running entirely on in-game computers with command blocks, machinery imitating the edge controls allowing travel between worlds dedicated to the subnet, the pcg, the subcraft maps, the pastel lands, et cetera. The possibilities, once I dragged mods into it, were endless. The worst part is I got quite far before it all succumbed to technical issues, and the growth of the underlying software made the server unable to accommodate the full scope of the project.

Ironically enough, I shut down the server I got for that purpose... Last week. Though, come to think of it, since it ran on a quarterly billing cycle, there may be a month or two left on it. I could probably set you up to use it, if you're interested. Emphasis on probably.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

I was thinking of making a map that would get about as complicated as the Lighthouse, at the most. It's really clear that some of the more incredible things in Submachine are the most difficult to reproduce in MC, so I'm probably just going to start with a map with 5 rooms and a way to use items that just straight-up resorts to item frames/chests. I feel the biggest point of making this game would be to test a point-and-click in 3D that acknowledges a viewpoint that moves through and around areas.

I don't think I'll need the server. I'll just make the map and post the download link.
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

Should I be giving progress updates?
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Of course, we would like to hear updates in progress! :P
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

Someone I know told me that they would design the map if I made the puzzles and mechanisms. I've been communicating with them when I can to figure out what kind of puzzles would be good for the map. I've already designed a bell that shifts through multiple phases with the intention of hiding an item and a secret somewhere. Phases of the bell shown here: http://imgur.com/a/joEns

The map is going to be rather large in one area, (the map designer is using WorldPainter to make a massive island), so I'm also working on transportation between key areas. I'll have some images up for that in a day, at the least.
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

I think the bells would better suit the map to be all laid out at once instead of showing one at a time. I'm stringing them above a river I'm going to put along the path between the big wide thing and the pool of water shown here Image
I've also updated the album with the bells to show some progress, the most significant (in my opinion) being the lab portal statue, which is going to be a destination for another statue on an introductory island.

In terms of the transportation, I'm probably just going to use slime blocks as the detector block for a karma portal, which then teleports you to a room that represents going through the portal (purpose of the currently-all-black room in the album), and then teleport you to the other end.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Sounds Cool! :)
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

Do you have any feedback on the bells? I'm hoping to make them look more bell-like.
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

Wait, this isn't part of the Pastel Community Game right?
Is this my final form?
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

I... don't know? Nobody's really doing fan game stuff except for me right now (as far as I can tell), so I'm not sure what would fit the criteria for it being the Pastel Community Game.