Submachine Universe

MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Re: Submachine Universe

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

The problem is: I'm moving away from flash. And it's kind of successful (mission to the sun is the proof of that).

Further subnet expansion would require me to step back from game maker to flash again.

:/

That's tough.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

well, you have the option to just release this version with Prince's room in HD and put the project on hold.

maybe you'll find some way to quickly translate these Subnet flash files into GM in the future, but it's fine either way.
Anonymous1
subnet technician

Post by Anonymous1 »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:
MateuszSkutnik wrote:no, it's the only change.
So now the Fun Can begin.

"that location is known for constantly changing statues"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mechaniac
lost in subnet

Post by Mechaniac »

Oh hi!

This post is about physics of Submachine world. It contains a lot of weird stuff such as black holes, quantum mechanics, relativistic effects and other real scientific concepts, on which I base my own theories, so it's kinda complicated. Skip it if you don't want to mess with my abstruse drivel %) And anyway I should start from afar.

So...

First of all, spacetime, three spatial dimensions and one temporal. They're inextricably linked as front and back sides of one sheet of paper, but still have their own properties. Space is limited in length, but allows us to move freely. Time is infinite, but relentlessly pulls us from past to future. I represent dimensional layers as one more axis, third component of the continuum. Player doesn't move in space and time when goes from one dimension to the other, right? Remember that, we'll return here later.

And now the weird part begins. Inside of the black hole space and time shift their main properties. Space became endless or, if black hole has Sun's mass and diameter of 3 km, at least 10^66 light years wide - that's MUCH bigger than the whole Universe outside. But it also pulls all objects to the singularity - not because of extreme gravity, but because space itself turns into one-way road. Meanwhile, time became odd fractal-like system - I couldn't find any good articles with it's description, but now, with space as an example, the main idea is pretty simple.

Universe constantly expands into unknown infinity, that looks almost like time's properties. Even more, we can't reach the farthest galaxies because they fly away faster than light! Time travel is still sci-fi concept, but if it really exist, we can say time has space's properties even in the common world too.

Now back to layers. I think their main property is "uniting many into one" - according to my own schemes, the opposite part of continuum is "possibility" that divides one into many that's not important because there's still no alternate realities in Submachine world. So, space, time and layers should have all main properties of each other! Let's see how it looks like.

1) Space - place where we can go anywhere (main), inflation of Universe (time), unity of at least three geometrical axes (layers).

2) Time - hypotetical time travel (space), endless flight into the future (main), physics of massless particles* and hypotetical multidimensional time (layers).

3) Layers - switching between them (space), karma portals, yet they're not so infinite (time), karmic structures** and the whole structure of multidimensional reality (main).

And "possibility" adds multiple Universes to space, relativistic effects to time and independency to layers.
* Photon has no mass and so exists without time. From it's own point of view, it borns and disappears at the same moment. That's probably my favourite thing in theory of relativity.

** I don't know if karmic object, for example a part of machine, exist on all layers at once or just create their own copies there under certain conditions, but the second theory is the most plausible. Mostly because Murtaugh's karma arm consists of at least seven independent parts, and otherwise he probably won't need to unite them. I still need more information, but anyway karmic objects send information about their shapes to other layers.
And now the mysterious karma. I don't know it's origin too, but let's think it's some sort of matter with enhanced "multidimensional interaction" properties. For example, ALL atoms are magnetic, but iron and several others are EXTREMELY magnetic, so we can see that without supersensitive devices. Maybe each atom tries to interact with other dimensions too, but only karma is strong enough to overcome the "distance" between layers... Insufficient data for meaningful answer, but oh well.

Then, we know it's possible to mix karmic water with common building materials to create walls on all layers at once. That may also confirm my theory about sending information and forcing other layers' matter to form similar structures. Probably karma somehow enhances their weak "multidimensional interaction" effects, or just collects or even creates common molecules on the other side...

With this assumption karma portal is just two separate vortexes that are linked with the same sort of interaction. Karma change object's properties and forces it to move through that link. But the first portal we see in Submachine teleports us to the same layer. It obviously pulls player through some other layers too. It should be much more difficult to create such thing than simple karma portal, but still possible, yet I don't know which of many theories is correct.

I also suspect that virtual particles, tiny quantum fluctuations, are somehow related to dimensional layers, but this thing is too mysterious.

And that's all for now. I'm not physicist, my knowledge is limited by two or three dozens of scientific articles, so I can mistake more than I would like. If you can help me complete and improve those theories, it's very good =)
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Welcome to the forum, Mechaniac! :D

I'm a physicist myself (recently graduated), and I can say I like your theory a lot!

I had the same idea as you of layers being a new dimension in the spatiotemporal sense (admittedly Sub10 strongly hints about that in the notes). I also made a theory about it using concepts from physics, here it is if you are interested.
Meanwhile, time became odd fractal-like system
What do you mean by this? I've never heard of time being fractal-like in regards to black holes.

And a question/idea for expansion: how would your theory explain the existence of loops in Submachine? A note in Sub10 (in the telescope-microscope room) talks about horizontal loops vs. vertical loops; maybe the latter are somehow the layer-dimension equivalent of spatial loops, with temporal loops being caused by time travel (like that Sub6's connection pod puzzle)?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

wow, scientific theory
it deserves its own page in Theories and Suggestions thread

welcome to the forum, Mechaniac!
Mechaniac
lost in subnet

Post by Mechaniac »

Thanks! =)
Vortex wrote:here it is
Looks nice, I'll read it a bit later - have no brain power atm.
Vortex wrote:What do you mean by this? I've never heard of time being fractal-like in regards to black holes.
Here's the best article about it I have - although couldn't read it entirely yet :D
Inside the cylinder, time and space have switched places. Inside, the intersection image doesn't show a snapshot - it shows something much more weird: a caleidoscopic combination of many different times. After all, inside, time is not the axial, but the radial coordinate, and all the different distances from the "center" which you see in the sketch correspond to different moments in time. Instead of the spatial structure of the black hole, the sketch shows a strange mix of space and time!
It's right after the last image.
Vortex wrote:how would your theory explain the existence of loops in Submachine?
Loops are outside of that theory, but I think it's just locally twisted space, like "spherical" universe or any other enclosed area.

At least that's the least complicated assumption, but I'm not sure if time inside this kind of loop will be right.
Sublevel 105 wrote:Theories and Suggestions thread
Huh, seems I missed it somehow...
RuloCore
subnet notes finder

Post by RuloCore »

After this, I feel I should have contacted Vortex for my Submachine fanfic. Next to your conversation, the ending looks ridiculous.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Nah, it's not like you have to do a thesis :P the science doesn't really matter much as long as the story is good. when are you posting the last part?
RuloCore
subnet notes finder

Post by RuloCore »

I have the complete text in another tab waiting for the 'Submit' button to be hit, but I need to find some scene to fill a plot hole :x