I suggest merging, but no one likes that idea. And I'm posting here because this thread was made first.
Anyway, I made a vid about Submachine Universe Flash, like I sorta promised to do a year ago-ish! Finally happened. I touch on
1) what made SubVerse special for me, including the temporal nature of discovering new and updated locations
2) what I like and don't like about the prospects of SubVerse for Steam
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysDOkc3Z_eM
Also, to be more specific, I played through the game recently and want to make a suggestion list for going forward to the Steam version.
- the current coordinate input system should go, I think. It's nice and we've all had fun with the numbers, but the likelihood of skipping over and having that constant frustration of cycling back through is always going to be nagging. I suggest adding an up-down system to make it easier to navigate.
Alternately, you could switch it up completely differently and make a toggled overlay with a branched map like what momruoy developed and I capitulated on, and instead of the game being based on finding numbers, it's more based on how to unlock each connection to the next portal via some other means. (besides, no one can figure out what the coordinates are based off of anyway - I think it's awfully contrived)
If the above suggestions don't wipe these out, I'm assuming it's natural to alter the following clues:
1) 917's clue based off of Smartguy's name is weaving together canon and noncanon material, which is probably a no-no
2) 757's clue to 185 over the door might unintentionally lead some people to think that 185 is behind that door, opening up more questions about proximity of locations to each other that will probably get nowhere
3) 642's "C" clue is likely to get people hung up until they discover other clues with Roman numerals (and even then, 'C' by itself might not suggest a Roman numeral connection right away)
4) 747's clues hidden in the sign map make no sense at all, why are they hidden "in the arrows"?
5) the clues to 438 reading "First/second/third of three" always read as really cheap to me, plus with this combo and clues like the brown and blue plates with green lights, etc. once you have two numbers you just have to cycle through 9 digits for the third and potentially break the game path a little bit (same for 076 now that I think about it)
6) 011's clue to 128 is badly placed because it's hidden in a light panel in one room, whereas the other rooms can be moused over with no indication of any clues, so you have no hints that there's a clue in that one arbitrary panel
some more things:
- 232: If Kent Falls is not comparable to any real world location (including Connecticut or the UK) as stated in the Subnet q and a, then why is there a sign of the Connecticut version? I think it should be removed, unless it's supposed to be adapted to an in-universe state park and not supposed to be a clue to the actual Connecticut location
Really this can be extended to any IRL picture in this game. How do we know what to take as connecting to a place like in our world, and what has merely been adapted for in-game use with no IRL correspondence? Do we have a rule for this?
- 728: sorta sad that I can't read the descriptions here, even if they say something else other that author's notes
- 461 is too big, which I think has been previously discussed
- 523/AQA's usage of the wisdom gem in the machine wasn't very clear (at least to me); I had to be reminded of the original fanart photo to figure out a gem went there. But then again, what will happen to fanart-based rooms in general...
- 043/IXT - why can't we go up on the left side? We could in 32 Chambers and there's no visual indication of blockage or anything
- 966/WIQ - frustrating that you can't put a wisdom gem in the energy receiver in the attic; I think this also applies to 859
A lot of these are nitpicky, but they are my thoughts. I think the video is more important though.
In 218/Church, the symbols on the back walls (circle, rectangle, triangle) could be interpreted as a clue to 043, akin to the shape symbols that appear in 770.
As it stands now, this interrupts the intended flow of discovering locations by having the player explore 043 much earlier than expected. There are no text indicators that these shapes should be used to form a clue, but nonetheless people are asking questions.
Yeah, I think it's coincidence.
Though, after 462 and 551 was introduced, contained double clue, plus that coordinates in some notes, I thought maybe there's indeed double clue somewhere.
В кроваво-внутренней погодной шахматной игре...
As far as SubVerse goes, I think it's a given that it's going to be pretty different than what we know it as now, yeah. Regarding fan content, I think the opposite will happen; he's said that he wants to remove all fan content and make it completely free of all that stuff so it can be his own game. Then he can sell it and whatnot, which makes a whole lot more sense than pulling teeth to get permission from people to include stuff in the game that's would make it less and less "his thing". You know how he likes complete creative control over his projects.