Suggestions and Ideas for Submachine: The Legacy

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Suggestions and Ideas for Submachine: The Legacy

Post by Vortex »

By the way, I almost forgot. I finally convinced my sister to play through the entire series some time ago (she liked it :D ), and she also made a few interesting suggestions, more on the gameplay side:

-In a room with a lab portal, inputting the 3 digits directly with the keyboard would be a lot faster than having to change each digit separately with the mouse.

-Same thing with switching layers in Sub8 and Sub9, much faster than having to click on the navigator and then the corresponding button.

-Moving through the rooms with the arrow keys.

-Having the notes translated to other languages.

- Including a location map for the locations you have already seen (but I think I don't agree with this one).
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

:D Good job, Vortex!
More people knows and plays Submachine - more legacy we leave behind. XD
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Making you move by arrow keys and wasd, would require more keys to use things otherwise keyboard fanatics would be angry...

How would keys work for the Submachine 8 and 9 transporter.

Notes in other languages would require official translators so that would cost money.

Location map? I dunno. You have the: ''Write your own note'' thing.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Ko9 wrote:
07 Nov 2020 18:31
would require more keys to use things otherwise keyboard fanatics would be angry
I don't get your point here, what do you mean by a keyboard fanatic?
Ko9 wrote:
How would keys work for the Submachine 8 and 9 transporter
Well, a number from 1 to 8 (this doesn't conflict with their use for the lab portal, since there are no lab portals in Sub8 or Sub9)
Ko9 wrote:
Notes in other languages would require official translators so that would cost money.
I'm aware, I was just listing my sister's suggestions. I agree it's not very likely that Mateusz will consider official translations, though I believe he should at least check all the notes for spelling mistakes. I think the suggestion to translate the games was already raised in Discord sometime ago anyways.
Location map? I dunno. You have the: ''Write your own note'' thing.
I agree. Having a map would in my opinion break the immersion, and make it feel less like we are exploring an unknown place. Also there would probably be some problems like in Sub7's winter palace where you can "go right" in two different ways, that's more difficult to represent in a map.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

-Some people, think that as much as possible should be done by keyboards. By adding the rooms you would have to expand into more key territory and I don't know how I feel about that.

-Hm, that is kinda interesting.

-Yeah about two years ago, I tried translating the notes and I have no clue where that translation is or if I ever completed it.

-Ok.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

^Is that conversation with Subgod?

Btw, I can't think of slightest way how keyboard movement can be integrated into submachine games, because, you know, it's not just 2D movements to the left-top-right-bottom...
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

I have no clue what you're talking about in regards to a conversation with 'subgod'.

Of course it can, you just need to add many key shortcuts to the movement in the games. At some point it would be playable with a keyboard, but Vortex was talking about just movement, which I think keyboard fanatics will dislike because they would prefer to be able to escape the entire game with just keys.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

:P
Style of your post looked like they were Mateusz's quotes about Vortex's suggestions. XD

-----------

What I meant, I dunno how to move through keyboard in these rooms, for example (they came to my mind in the very first second after I read about keyboard movements)
Attachments
trhthrt.png
trhthrt.png (98.73 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

I? Subgod? Oh god, has P&C game development changed me forever...

---------

There are many keys in the world man.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Good points, Sublevel, those are relevant counter-examples. That being said, imagine if we could, theoretically, convert the Submachine controls completely to a standard WASD+mouse layout. Fingers would be flying through those rooms; the mouse could be used to move up, down, left and right, but that could also be handled by WASD, leaving the mouse to select items and areas that aren't on the four boundaries. Combined with 60fps-speed room load times, that would be quite amazing especially for speedrunners, lol.