Books!

Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Re: Books!

Post by Augustus »

I just completed 1984.
I am pretty sure people knowing me and reading this will be suprised I haven't done so yet.
It had to be done for my English class and it was fascinating and very terrifying.
If you're into politics and intrigued by the power of unfree governments my advice; read it.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Yeah I read it as well.
After reading it something came to mind.
Is the world outside of Airstrip one aka Britain, really a war zone?
With half the world under the party control?

Or is that just what Big Brother tells us.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Nice!
Britain is airstrip 1 not just airstrip if I recall correctly.
The world isn't a war zone it is just south east Asia... Or another part of Asia.
There are several people who tried to map the world of 1984, this one is on wikipedia:
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

What I mean is does the party actually control half the world?
Does Big Brother reach actually exist outside of New England?

Since we never leave London and only receive news from the Ministry of Truth puts out.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

-Maybe
-Maybe

I think we do leave Londinium?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Yeah, we do.
During the first "Meet Up" between Julia and Winston. But we are still in country.

In Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series, 1984 happen in 1948, but the title was change because of the publisher interference.
The Ingsoc government being elected after the end of world war 2, didn't survive past 1956.

I find it interesting that after reading a novel that ask the reader to question everything twice over after its end that we didn't question the true reach of Big Brother.
The Ministry of truth along the ministry of Peace could paint a story of the country being at war with Eurasia while being allied with Eastasia. Then the war conveniently coming to an end then Eurasia "Bombing" its own allies and war start all over again. With enemies becoming allies, and allies becoming enemies. War is a good cover for a shitty government. North Korea can speak to that excuse.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Well, since we're talking spoilers, I thought personally of the labor camp, instead of the meetup with Julia. I don't think you mentioned the country, but mentioned London?

Okay.
Okay. (Don't remember really)

Hmm.
Althought North Korea is really close to this government, I think it is rather easy to point at different countries and say that they are like this while in my country, the Netherlands, there has recently been a scandal called ''De toeslagen affaire'' which basically destroyed the lives of several families coming from non-European ancestory by accusing them of tax froud, while there was no evidence and they didn't do anything.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Augustus wrote:
19 Jan 2022 15:14
Althought North Korea is really close to this government, I think it is rather easy to point at different countries and say that they are like this while in my country, the Netherlands, there has recently been a scandal called ''De toeslagen affaire'' which basically destroyed the lives of several families coming from non-European ancestory by accusing them of tax froud, while there was no evidence and they didn't do anything.
The Netherlands are not alone in this action in terms of news reporting.
Back in America during the Casey Anthony trial, the news report during said trial played out more like a sports broadcast than actual fact reporting.
Newsroom put it best at pointing this out: Behold
Or better yet, I would suggest you read up the story of Satou Masaru's Biography as I have under the manga adaption of Yuukoku No Rasputin, it mirrors what you describe to a T.

My other problem falls under the population paradox in Oceana, or at least its party percentage. 2% inner party, 13% outer party, The Proles (Everyone else).
The Proles are the rest of humanity trap in the complete brand wash of think-thought system. Brain-mass-less apes that where once humans. With O'Brien telling Winston that he was going to distribute surveillance photos of him and Julia in their bedroom to the Proles population.

Second paradox: The Equatorial Front. That stretch of Northern Africa through the middle east being the war front always being fought. I'm not 100% certain, but I feel a certain detail from the book is missing after the war change. I only realize this after watching the 1984 movie with John Hurt, The mounting of the troops. Problem #1, how useful are the Proles as cannon fodder? If they are nothing more than sheeple, then they suck as soldiers. Moreover, how is Airstrip 1 not a huge beach front to stock up "fresh troops" before shipping them out to fight. But then you have problem #2, the commanders. The remain 13% outer party man the 4 main branches: Peace, Love, Plenty, and Truth. With only the ministry of Love subject to seek out possible rebels in the other 3 ministry.

By the end of the day I'm just pointing out the flaws in the Big Brother narrative. I find that as bleak as that story ends, I also find it difficult that all stimulation the Proles are subjective too has made them this stupid. That not one of them "woke up" after seeing anything found in their environment. Whether is be man made or nature bound in origin.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

My brain is currently on fire as I recently remembered a book I read a few times as a child called The Power of Un, by Nancy Etchemendy. It's a kids story book that deals with time travel, and for some reason I felt really motivated to read it again, so I borrowed it on Archive and read it all in like 45 minutes. I've been itching to watch more movies with time travel in it and this is further motivating me to do so. Donnie Darko is at the top of the list, on recommendation from a friend.

Equally as much as I enjoyed the little time travel scenario the book sets up (now having read/watched much more time travel material so I can understand what kind of time travel is at work in the book, no less), I enjoyed the fact that I haven't thought about this book in at least a decade and misremembered some key details. But also there were like two handfuls of times that I'd read a certain phrase and think "wow, I remember reading this phrase a decade ago" even though I sure as hell didn't expect my brain to keep those neurons around. What a way to be transported back in time, a little bit.