Movies! (and television)

Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Re: Movies! (and television)

Post by Augustus »

Don't look up is an amazing movie that comment on right wing populism and the incompetence of the masses and government.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Movies! (and television)

Post by Jatsko »

Ok, I finally watched Coma after being interested in the trailer a few years ago. And I'm chuckling to myself as I'm writing this because I noticed Reed chimed in at one point and said they hoped it wouldn't be as bad as most Russian cinema. I don't have any handle on Russian cinema but I feel like I understand what they might have meant by that, lol. The film is extremely trope-y with a pretty bog-standard action adventure plot, I guess (who doesn't love a forced romance between two characters that have zero chemistry?). But it's serviceable, I suppose. I'm not gonna spend time trying to pick apart where there might be plot holes or inconsistencies or whatever, though I know there are a few I noticed.

Mainly I was interested in it because the trailer had the Submachine vibes of a broken world, and as far as that goes, the movie did deliver! You get to see plenty of the Coma world and all of the fragments of people's memories and dreams, and I really appreciated the fact that the movie spent time framing the world itself as the focus in several shots, with some shots removing the characters entirely so we can directly access the clear intent of the film-makers to show us how cool everything here is. There's several scenes where different environments and scenes blend into each other in really interesting ways, and even though the graphical effects aren't good enough to be convincing and fully immersive a lot of the time, that raw-ness of the rough edges invoked its own kind of surreal feeling that I enjoyed.

I wouldn't personally be surprised if the world itself was something that the film-makers wanted to show off in a project, and they just needed a plot and characters to fill the requirements of making it a complete movie. If so, I can't really blame them for that. The film overall had a very B-movie feel to it, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it and am finally glad I saw it.