Languages

WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Re: Languages

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Anteroinen wrote:Yes, people pronounce things differently, it is called having dialects. If English were the tiniest bit more phonemic you'd even be able to represent that orthographically, but usually most dialectal issues fall right through English orthography choice of "BUT HISTORY!!!"

I might even go as far as doubt the teacher's pronunciation, because Polish isn't at all easy to pronounce. However, I think it is much more likely that you as an amateur, like me to be honest, were not able to hear the difference between /a/ and /ɑ/ or /ʃ/ and /ʂ̻/. This is nothing to be ashamed of, it is altogether normal not to perceive all speech sounds. I cannot tell apart /v/ and /ʋ/ and probably mispronounce English words like "veal" with /ʋ/ rather than /v/ but I do try.
Ahhhhh.....Potato
Potata
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Well not quite your choice is still not pointing to the correct direction. That is not a dialect issue.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

neo1973 (WiQ?) @ JayisGames wrote:Dora/Jeff/ et al -

I know this is going to sound silly, but...

Would you please post a phonetic pronunciation of Mateusz's name so that I can know I am pronouncing it right when I hear it in my head?

Thanks!
Reka @ JayisGames wrote:More pronunciation:
http://www.forvo.com/word/mateusz/

So /ma-TEH-oosh/. (E as in met or get, not A as in bay or ray.)
threbbler @ JayisGames wrote:Neo,

You may listen to the correct pronuncation of Mateusz's name here: http://www.forvo.com/word/mateusz/
daymaretown (Mateusz Skutnik) @ JayisGames wrote:@ reka 2 threbbler
yes - that's the exact pronunciation. Good work.

Now onto guessing how my surname is pronounced. :D
Anyone up for the challenge? :mrgreen:
I've been saying his last name as /skut.nɪk/, but I don't know Polish so there is a fair chance that I'm wrong.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

So "Mateush"? that's how I had been pronouncing it. I thought I was wrong XD

I pronounce the surname as it is written, "Skutnik", with the accent in the 1st syllable. I don't know Polish either so I don't know if it's right, but it seems the easiest pronunciation.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

As far as I can tell /'skut.nik/ is the correct one. /'skut.nɪk/ would imply Skutnyk, in the Warsaw dialect anyway. Normatively, /'skut.nɨk/ (or even more technically /'skut.nɘ̟k/) would be the "correct" pronunciation of Skutnyk.

You can see the Polish vowels in the chart below, in which /u/ is <u>, /i/ is <i>, /ɛ/ is <e>, /ɔ/ is <o>, /a/ is <a> and /ɨ/ is <y>. There are nasalized versions of e and o – ę and ą respectively – but the nasalization often gets loaded onto a glide vowel and instead of /ɛ̃/ and /ɔ̃/ you get /ɛw̃̃/ and /ɔw̃̃/ or it gets unpacked into a full nasal consonant, which assimilates the place of articulation to the next consonant: frankly the "nasal vowels" are a mess).

The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Anyone interested in continuing this discussion or starting a new one?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

I'd very much like to continue discussing linguistics, but the pronunciation of Mateusz has been dealt with exhaustively.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Anteroinen wrote:I'd very much like to continue discussing linguistics, but the pronunciation of Mateusz has been dealt with exhaustively.
Yet I still wonder what Mateusz had to say. :lol:
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Not much, I'd venture. We've given an accurate pronunciation of it and that is about it. He doesn't seem like a huge linguist anyway, I mean we can all remember his attempt at conlanging, right? A Scandinavian language that neither looks or sounds like one and has little to no similarities with any of the Scandinavian ones. I mean it seems that:

Three – third
Tre – Tredje
Trijtens – trijstejs

There definitely is some gender hankypanky going on with the numbers, but I can't even guess what it is.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Well, we have very few translations (even inferred ones) and most of them are nouns that appear only once. It would be difficult to draw any conclusion from the information the game provides, but granted that we were provided some more information that would demonstrate different inflexions, we would be able to deduce something (which would be fun).
A Scandinavian language that neither looks or sounds like one and has little to no similarities with any of the Scandinavian ones.
Could you give another example? I'm not very familiar with Scandinavian languages...